Best way to expand LCO?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by premierlawncare, Oct 20, 2005.

1. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

Best way to expand LCO? What is the best way to go from 100 accounts/1 truck, to the 2nd truck and 100 more accounts?

I think this is a tough question.

Without using credit?
  2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Without using credit?
  3. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

i know, i mean in aquiring new accounts, etc.
    basically a game plan.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Fore me .... when first starting the fastest way too grow was to buy an existing route

6 years ago .... at the time my partner (bought him out 3 years ago) & I we both worked in a Pizza Hut (managers) ..... had a small lco on the side .... had few accounts maybe $2500 in monthly billing ... acquired a small route of like 25 yards n a 36" encore (which I sold fore $1k) .... the route was like $2200 in monthly .... we paid $5K fore everything ... I mowed the accounts with the seller for 2 weeks prior .... met all the people ....

Later next summer we bought a $5K route n equip n the rest is history .... we sold the first route n I have sold 2 other routes .... as I grew .... I shrunk my service area to a 5 mile radius

Word of mouth is the best ADVO by far ... but you have to have a route to get the word out .... fore me it was the way to go

Otherwise .... do good work at a fair price .... door hang ... small local ads ... will grow with time

I'd say if you have 100 accounts under 1 year your already on your way as it is ..... just make sure to go over the numbers too make sure the income from that many accounts justify's the month income .... 100 accounts is good size .... but far more important is the income compared to the hours spent to get the work done on that many accounts .... ie .... hourly rate is fair enough to make a living .... pay the bills n make a living
  5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

What is the best way to go from 100 accounts/1 truck, to the 2nd truck and 100 more accounts?

Great question.

I will be doing at least this next season. Notice I said "I WILL" be doing this.
    The key is to honestly believe that you can and will do it.
    In fact, asking yourself might be the best way to approach this. (I do know you posted this to get ideas though :) )

So just what WOULD it take to not only go from 100 to 200 customers next year, but to make it a very smooth process? At what point do you need to make changes to accommodate? What challenges may arise? And how will you handle them? How CAN you do it without credit?

Ask yourself these questions, pertaining to your area, and write down the ideas and answers. Behold, A business plan.

This is exactly what I'll be putting together this winter. A goal filled time frame of when, why and how things should happen in order to go from point A to point B professionally. Then to go make them happen.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi premierlawncare,

Is there a way you can get the crew leader to have a financial incentive to help you grow your business? Could they get a % of the profits they bring in? Something like this might help harness their creative abilities and help you as well. Just a thought.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  7. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I am also currently looking to expand my business. I only have residential accounts as of now but am looking to move toward commercial. I am also looking to get out of doing the work myself, as in hiring a foreman. What would i need to know in hiring a foreman that will be doing almost all of the physical work?
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

good luck finding someone like that. they rather work for min wage at taco bell, than 40k a year mowing