1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to figure symetric circles in new bed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rockandroller, Aug 17, 2004.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I am digging out a new bed for a customer that surrounds a magnolia tree. What is the simplist way to configure a congruent circle around the tree? The circumference of the bed is about 70 feet.. Thanks for the feedback.:cool:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A piece of string....................
    Just mark off the sod in a number of places around the tree using a length of string...............

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Easier yet, loop one end of the string around the trunk. Walk out your 70', hold a spray can in your hand, and walk around the tree. Just make sure the string moves around the trunk with you.

4. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Circumference is the distance around a circle not the diameter. If you need a bed 70ft in circumference it would be 70ft/pi or 70/3.14 which is 22.29 ft.

Whatever the size of mulch bed, just do what the other guys suggested tie a string off and walk around the bed.

5. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas. Much simpler that measuring different points. I especially like the string tied around the tree. Duh???
    Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks again guys..