Best Way To Fill In Dead Spots of Bermuda?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Watwood, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

I have about 3 patches in my yard that look like this right now because last year crabgrass and dallisgrass owned these areas. Is there anything I should put down to help the Bemuda grow over these patches (sand etc.) to keep the dallisgrass and crabgrass out?

2. The Slop Nazi

The Slop Nazi LawnSite Member

Yeah, that's a pretty easy fix. Home Depot has a 2-prong step core aerator that you can buy for about $20. Use this to pull plugs of soil from these areas (about 8-to-12 holes per square foot). After you've removed these core plugs, spread about an inch of compost, or a compost/top-soil mix. Keep these patches watered, and the bermudagrass will spread rapidly in these areas.

Attached is a pic of the aerator that I mentioned.

3. A72CUTLAS

A72CUTLAS LawnSite Member

Slop Nazi...

Could that aerator also be used as a soil test probe? I ask because I don't want to dig up my yard with a shovel/spade as the county guy told me to. And no one seems to sell a tool specifically for this. I've been to all the big-box stores to no avail.

I can't tell from the pic, but will that take a deep enough core sample?
    Just a newb trying to make a nice lawn.
  4. flgtr95

flgtr95 LawnSite Member

Aerator plugs are not long/deep enough. Something like this is what you want:
  5. A72CUTLAS

A72CUTLAS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the links :dancing:. I'd been to the Lesco site but apparently missed this before. I also saw on the biconet site they have soil test kits for sale... are these sufficient for the casual home user, or should I still go to the county? Thanks again for your help.
  6. flgtr95

flgtr95 LawnSite Member

Best to go through the county or university ag coop extension office. They can provide you more accurate NPK info than the kits can plus info about micronutrients and organic matter content. The kits results tend to be off.