Best way to find bids for commercial mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WisconsinMower, Feb 23, 2005.

1. WisconsinMower

WisconsinMower LawnSite Member

What is the best way for me to look for businesses to bid on there lawn care? I have been calling the businesses but they have not been responding the way I expected. :help:

2. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

don't call....walk in

3. WisconsinMower

WisconsinMower LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that I am moving to this new city and it is an hour and a half away. Right now by the time I get off work they are doing the same.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

it's not WHAT you know...it's WHo you know...

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't agree more! It doesn't matter how good of work you do, if you don't know people, you won't go anywhere!

6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I go talk to them and I would say that who you know is very important! It may suck but is the way things work! You have to work hard and put in a lot of time to get the commercial accounts. I would say that for every 20 commercial contacts I make I will get a chance to bid 5 or 6 and of those I have only been signing 1 or 2. It is a tough business, it is hard to compete in markets where the big companies have the strong hold. That is what I am up against now. I am going to about 250 to 300 commercial properties and making myself known. I am hoping to gain about 10 of them, I was shooting higher but for what the big companies are getting them for it is really hard to compete. They are doing half acre properties way cheaper than I can do them for and everyone on here says I am too cheap!

7. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna get bashed for this one, but I guess it depends on how badly you need the business.

Get a copy of the yellow pages and make a list of every church in the area. Give their office a call during the week, and simply ask if it would be okay to submit a bid on their property for the upcoming year. Thank you... who's attention can I send this bid to?

I know that some members here will tell you that churches always go to the lowest bidder (or church member) and that they don't pay nearly enough for your service. On the plus side: when you call a church they will be very polite to you. No hangups, no name calling, no secretaries screening calls. Churches are obviously nonprofits and want to save money, so they're usually happy to look at a bid which could save them money. If you NEED the business, getting a low-paying property is better than having a mower sit in your garage and no work to be done. After doing that property for a year, now you have a good reference, and commercial experience.

I guess you could do that with any company, but you won't get the same warm reception on the phone. Some churches around here won't pay a nickel more than they have to....others will pay huge $$ for maint. Send them a bid....that you feel is fair to you..and see what happens. If you bid your going rate, and don't get the job....you're no worse off.

A more profitable way: Do you have friends in that city? where do they work? Have them introduce you to the boss, or ask their boss if it'd be okay or you to stop by or give them a call. You must have some sort of contact that can put you in touch with the right people.

Good luck!

8. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

If you are good with people. this isn't always the case. I am only speaking from my experience.