Best way to gain more accounts this time of year?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Hovey's Lawn Care, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have found that we need more accounts. Being this time of year I know it won't be easy. What have you guys found to be the best way to obtain more accounts in middle of the season? Newspaper?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

your best bet is probably buying someone out

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick it out for this season or start spending money on someone else's accounts. I've tried to gain mowing deals in June and July before. It's not just hard...it's next to impossible!

4. Hovey's Lawn Care

Thanks guys. It would be sweet to find someone too busy around here that'd sub me some!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried referrals. That's all my company has done for the past 12 years. PM your email to me and I will send you our referral letter we use each Spring.

6. Hovey's Lawn Care

Wow, thanks!

7. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

I would very much like to see your referral letter that you use. We are in our first startup season and we are looking for all possibe ways to grow our business. Thanks!
    Green Nation Lawnscapes LLC
    E-Mail @ Greennation@chartertn.net

8. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

a few years back, i posted a note to all my regular customers that if they referred me to anyone that panned out to be a regular account i would give them one cut for free..........seemed to get me a few.....also don't give up on this time of year.....alot of kids, young people, do lawn for summer till they have to go back to school, therefore the end of july-mid of august they disappear leaving their customers hanging......got a few of these also

9. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Keep advertising & try the referral option with your exisitng customers. In addition to the things mentioned in the previous post - there are so many "joses in a pickup truck" types - they build up quite a few lawns - and think they are making a lot more money than at their old job - then poof, truck dies or walkbehind dies and they haven't set any money aside for these things - and they just quit showing up - if your advertisement is staring this guys customers in the face - you're in.

10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

THis time of year, most guys have more business then they can handle. I have gone on estimates lately and didnt feel like even bidding on the job. Alot of times I will see another LCO in the area and ask them if they are interested in giving the quote and they pass on it also. And this is usually a job that is next door or within 2-3 houses from where they are currently working. ALot of times you cannot even give away referrals.

I delete about 10-15 messages a day from people calling.

ALl you guys complaining about not having enough work need to move to FL. Heaven forbid a hurricane comes through, then there is a ton more work on top of the crap that is already available.....