Best way to get alot of clients in one year?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jusmowin, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Just trying to find out what is the best way to get 50 to 75 clients in one year ? I already have 20 clients already but It always seems I can never get past the 35 to 40 mark. Im targeting the 3k to 20 k size lots with flyers in a very tight area and some other areas with my yellow book ad . Although It seems I never hit that BIG 50 point, so my question is should I low ball to get my foot in the door(mow a little cheaper than everyone else) or go to other areas witch means more drive time and less money and ask the going rates in that area ! What to do PLEASE help!hammer
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Drive a little farther until you have the number of customers you want then wittle it down by rasing prices until you have a tight enough route. If you get them by lowballing in a small area you will take years to get them to where you and everyone else needs them to be. You will slowly bleed yourself to broke.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I don't agree with driving further, one of the biggest keys to profitability is to keep your accounts as close together as possible. I would charge the low end of your market rate and advertise very aggressively, Postcards, doorhangers, etc.
  4. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Try putting prices on your fliers. Price is 80-90% of any deal. Set a price for square footage, then check your results.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to watch Tripling you route in one year. Too much Growth too fast is not good. I myself found that going from 40 accounts to almost 70 in one year was a bit of adjustment, the biggest issue alot of times is CASH FLOW.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I most likly going to put out a flyier with prices on them and keep my routes as close as possible . However, I will be on the lower side of the pricing scale for a limited time for mowing(now till May 1) to get my foot in the door but keep my mulch, fert and other services on the high side. I just hate paying someone to sit on their butt and get paid for it and that is what drive time is to me. What do yall think?
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

ask for refferals and put out flyers until you get the business you want.
  8. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

Drive time is about the worst, but there's nothing you can do. Sometimes the areas that are farther are better. I drive about 25 miles away to a sweet spot near the lake. It's totally worth the 1.5 hrs roundtrip.