Best way to get new customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JDWalkbehind, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

Well for next year i want to get some more customers. This year i had 7 accounts, but they were all big yards, and now that i have my new 757 zero turn mower i have more time to do more. I was wondering what was the best way to advertise to get more customers. I would like to get 5 more customers so i can at least have 10-12 accounts. What worked the best for you? Thanks

Nick
    A.K.A. Pro-Cut Lawn Service

2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

OK i'll bite. First off don't get more equipment than you need. If you have low over-head then you can make more profit off what you do. I am not saying charge less than the average in your area but you can put more in your pocket from it.

Now to answer your question get some business cards and keep them with you at all times. Mention your LCO to every person you talk to. If they ask for a card give them one and leave it at that. You will be surprised how many of them will call you. Also go around to the neighborhoods and do the flyer/door hangers. Get some help on this and you can get alot out in a short time. My best way is the thought each time you mow a lawn keep in mind when you leave you have left your business card with the quality of work you have left. Good luck to you and keep at it you will grow just don't give up.

3. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Any other ideas?

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Dont buy new equipment til you need it is most important

And i did doorhangers for 2 years did the 1-2% response rate everyone says and got a lot of customers... Last year put a full page ad in the local paper for a week and got enough calls to drive a person nuts.. i mean hundreds of calls. We put it out a week before(inside front cover) every other LCO and before the "spring home improvement" section in the paper

5. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Pass out flyers, or door hangers. It has worked well for me. But half my work so far is just referral.

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

:laugh: Come on dude. For 5 new accounts all you have to do is tell your aunts and uncles that you need some money and sign them up for service. With only being able to take on a few accounts you should just stick with an add in the local paper and limit the towns you willing to work in. I put an add in for a 4 weeks and it cost me 100 bucks. The add only takes a few minutes to put in and that beats walking around hanging door hangers. Save your time and energy. The aunt bit was a joke. :laugh:

7. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

I usually go door to door and introduce myself... Sometimes I'll carry photos of my work or equipment...

8. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

This doesnt have to do with advertising but the idea copying of ALL of my ideas has been getting annoying and out of hand. I mean i come up with my ideas whether it be advertising, equipment purchases or anything else and BAM their copied. Like its strange when i tell you about a piece of equipment im interested in and then it ends up the next day you are deciding to get it and i then go get it. Or with the backpack blowers you had told me all 2005 that you didnt want one and then 2006 you still didnt want on but when i made the order on mine you all the sudden ordered one. That gets quite annoying after a while when you cant come up with original ideas. Or making up stories or trying to take my customers. Or the famous quote i heard when u bought ur BP blower "all that matters is that i got mine first". Is this business some kind of game to you? Is it Mitch buys something and then its a challenge to see who can get it first. Ive been holding this in for a while but i had to get it out. When spring came around you lied alot and i knew u were lying alot and i just ignored it but when the equipment copying came into place it got personal and then the trying to "one up" me on all my purchases gets quite annoying. I only buy equipment that pays for itself and you buy equipment that I buy to try to copy me. I know you think its fun but it gets pretty annoying. Now im not trying to be rude as much as i am trying to strive a point here. Im sick and tired of every purchase i make you either copy, get something similar or get something bigger. I dont know what your showing besides immaturity. Or when u were on vacation over the summer u called and i had told you about my purchase of the STIHL 110 edger and the next day all of the sudden you wanted a 130 trimmer and i knew u just wanted to copy or one up me. It gets annoying to have someone standing there copying all of your ideas and making them their own. Not trying to be rude but trying to prove a point. :) -Mitch-

9. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

Imitation is the best form of flattery..... Maybe he just wants to be like you when he grows up.. ..You might just be his hero... Maybe he needs a father figure...

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

wooooo...LOL What I would do Is just put a add In your local paper.
    Best of luck