Best way to get rid of rust?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by westcoh, Feb 24, 2008.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

Just wondering if anyone here has any special product or technique they use for getting rid of rust on equipment / trailers etc. I wanna do a bit of touch up work on my flat-deck trailer, and maybe the Bobcat too.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with FLUID FILM ...not sure how bad your rust is ...
  3. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

paint over the rust with POR-15. that stuff is amazing, and rust makes it bond better.
  4. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

we give our trailers a fresh coat of tremclad gloss black rust paint every spring, looks like new every year and cheap to do, Keeps the MTO off our back. If something looks taken care of, not a rusty old heap then they will let you keep rolling and nab the guy with the jaloppy. We do take a wire brush to knock off the loose rusty spots though before the paint.
  5. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

I like the idea of a fresh coat of paint every spring. I never dealt with the dot guys before, until I bought a 5 ton truck and had to stop at all the weigh scales bringing it home. Just the amount of time they wasted is enough to convince me to do whatever I can to avoid them.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

during winter, we sand almost everything down to get rid of loose rust or break up the rust bubbles. spray with a rust neutralizer like por15, then use a ferrous metal primer and then several coats of black emron auto paint. then everything looks purdy........on some areas we have been coating the hard to get areas with rubberized underbody coating and that seems to work well too.
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I like ospho. I would sand off surface rust, paint on the ospho (it's a liquid acid) and it will turn the metal a blackish color. The rusty oil field drill stem we use for fences gets ospho'd and accepts paint within 24 hrs and holds up well. Sherwinn Williams sells equipment paint that is engineered to hold up. If you have one in your area, they can tell you what you need for that area.