1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best way to give mulch a flat look?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jay albers, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jay albers

jay albers LawnSite Member

When i put new mulch down it always seems to look a little lumpy to me. anyone have a good technique to give it a flat look?
  2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what texture of mulch you are applying.
    Hardwood triple hammered mulch will lay somewhat evenly. Stringy hardwood will seem lumpy in places. Cypress is another texture!!!
    I direct my employees not to use a rake for fine details. After the mulch is applied, they get on their knees and hand scatter the mulch evenly and pat the top as they go across the surface. We have done this for years now!!!!
  3. MumCity Landscaping LLC

MumCity Landscaping LLC LawnSite Member

I always fan rake mine. Use the back side of a metal rake. comes out nice
  4. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

After I lay it, I rake it and then pat a pattern into it with the rake. I'll have to make a video of this.
  5. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

I use a rake to spread a general flat area, then after that its down to the ground to spread by hand
  6. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I second using the back side of a metal rake, always gives me a perfect flat look.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

the back of a fan rake or lay a pitchfork on the back side and go back and forth.
  9. drop and hand spread always comes out nice for me....i only use cypress mulch though.
  10. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Hand spread for me also, I am not the best at doing it though, usually I'll hire someone to do it and I'll go work on something else... Those metal Lea rakes worm well too.
    Posted via Mobile Device