Best Way to Grade Land?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KevinACrider, Jul 2, 2008.

1. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I just picked up a job removing 9 stumps and grading the area. It's fairly flat already. What is my best choice for doing this? Tractor and rake? Bobcat and rake?

2. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a tracked skid with a 4 in 1 bucket and a harley rake. Also the laser level if it needs to be precise

3. KevinACrider

Nothing precise. Customer had some of his wooded land cleared and now I have to go in and remove stumps and turn it into a 'yard'. You just run the bucket across it to get it level then rake it?

4. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

as long as you know how to operate well sounds like a 1.5 hr of quick good cash with a bobcat

5. KevinACrider

What attachment on the bobcat, FTGU?

6. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

flat bucket and your going to need some topsoil; a few yards may also need the fork attachment if theres other roots around the surface

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I would do it with an excavator just cuz you can get the whole stump out unlike with a skidsteer..... and it is alot easier to grade with the blade.......

8. KevinACrider

The stumps seem to pretty dry and rotted and they are also fairly small. I would be very surprised if a skid steer did not get them out. Either way, I'm pulling them with my truck before I rent the skid steer to minimize rental time.