Best way to handle this mess of weeds!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt Elwer, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Matt Elwer

Matt Elwer LawnSite Member

Hopefully these pictures will speak for themselves about how big a mess this property is.

The owner of this property wants the 6 foot and taller weeds cut down and that yard to look like the rest. There is about an acre of weeds and small trees that he wants cut down and removed.

So the question is, what is the best way to do this?? I was thinking about renting a billy goat brush hog to at least knock down the weeds to about 10 to 12 inch's tall. Then renting a pull behind rough-cut mower to pull behind my 4-wheeler, to hopefully make it manageable to get a walk behind finish mower in there eventually with out making it stall out because of the tall grass and weeds....

Any other brilliant ideas are greatly appreciated
    thanks,
    Matt

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what equipment you have available but I wouldn't be affraid to cut that with a ztr. I would do it on a sunny day. Set the mower on the highest setting and make half width passes if needed. Start on the outer edge and discharge outward working your way to the center. After the clippings dry a bit you can lower the deck and start from the inside and work out. The idea is to spread the clippings evenly so they dry. This will allow you to break down the amount of bulk you will eventually put into rows and rake up or vaccuum.
    The bigger contractors will tell you to clean it up with a tractor and flail mower followed by a turf sweeper. I figured if you had to ask you probably don't have any of this equipment.

Scott

3. Matt Elwer

No, we dont have that kind of equipment, unfortunately. I know round-up does wonders, but thats will probably require alot more work in the long run!

Matt

4. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

my exmark 52" 17hp walk-behind will mow that stuff down just fine. its cut through blackberry briars 8feet tall and thick weeds and other things that are alot worse than that. you might try and see if yours cuts it. youll probably need to cut it again ACCROSS the original direction you first mowed making a plus sign. grass and weeds like that really tall are usually thin and not dense, so the mower might cut through it better than what you would think.

5. Matt Elwer

I wish they it was thin and not dense, i walked through it, and it was THICK, to my suprise also. Also i forgot to mention, there is ruts about a foot deep in a couple of areas!!
    Thanks,
    Matt

6. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

sub out the initial cut to someone with a bush hog. Then, you can do the rest with no prob...

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

When I have stuff like that I call on my friend who does bush hogging exclusively. I let the property owner know what to expect when it's done and roughly how long it will take to get it in shape, just to make sure they are not expecting miracles.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave that to bush hogging companies. Expect it to cost in excess of 100 per hour with around a 2 or 3 hour minimum.

9. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

100 per hour...wow! Going rate around here is 40-60 an hour/acre.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

They wont last doing ti that cheap. Too much stuff to tear up and is not as cheap to repair.

I have had one repair bill that cost me half as much as My first ZTR. I have stated in the past that I stay around the 125 per hour mark with a 300 minimum.