Best way to improve airflow/volume on older Scag ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 17, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi guys, what's the best way to get more air flow from my 52" fixed deck hydro walk behind Scag, it's about a '92 or so. Double blades? It seems to have a bit of blowout as it is, with single medium or high lifts. I probably don't have enough power to run doubles, it's only 14hp (Kawasaki). It doesn't have baffles in front of the deck, just the triangle shape point in front. Seems to chop up clippings very nicely, just think I could use alittle more airflow. I have heard of adding baffles, the newer Scag turbo baffle for the discharge, etc. Whats the best option without losing horsepower and performance?
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

My thought is to maybe buy a turbo baffle for the deck. I have a fixed 52inch deck but it is the advantage deck, but mine didnt come with a turbo baffle and i do notice a difference in how well the grass clippings are thrown compared to my Turf Tiger which has the turbo baffle. I think those older decks dont have that extra space in front like for making the grass stand up before it gets cut, that came on the later models on the Advantage deck. I wouldnt recomend putting doubles on the machine, it will just bog the machine down, and just chop the grass up even more.
    Try the baffle and see if that helps.
    Matt

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Matt, I may try that.

4. Why don't you wait till the grass is growing to se how it cuts first.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I'm building a different kind of catcher that I need airflow for. I think more than it has right now. I'm going to build it and see.

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Eric: a left baffle from a 52" Husq or Gravely should fit. I put

a Husq baffle on my STHM. With the baffle and the turbo baffle

looks like an Advantage deck. Ed

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You might try standard lifts on the left and middle blades and a High lift blade on the right where you need the air flow the most. I do somehting like this on my 36" only wiht standard gators on top (doubles). If you hae the blades you could try it and see howit works. But you won't now for sure until you have some actual growing grass to cut.

What kind of ctcher are you planning on? I prefer metal mesh over cloth. Have used steel Grass Gobblers but i'm goin Aluminum next. (maybe accelerator or JMG) the mesh doesn't get clogged up with dust near as fast as the cloth and so you keep the air flowing through the bag.

Happy Mowing:D

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hi Eric
    Play With the deck pullys And get More Blade Speed. I'm Not sure If It's Bigger or Smaller Pullys. That's What We Did Before The Mower Companys Woke Up.

Oh No Hang Over On Last Christmas. Must Be Getting Old:angel:

John.

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that would be my other thought too is get smaller pulley's to make the blade tip speed faster. THe bearings on some of the pulley's now could be seizing up due to it sitting around at the dealer and because its old. Grease everything up and look into getting smaller pulley's or look at a new WB mower and see if scag made any changes to its pulley system for the decks over the years.
    Matt

10. The real answer to the question.....Buy a new Exmark.