Best way to install lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JMiller08, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to install a new lawn on a newly constructed home? Lawn will be over 1 acre in size. Looking for different views of how and what to do. Thanks guys! Also note that i do have full access to a bobcat and attachments.

2. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

whats the soil like????

3. JMiller08

Alot of clay, hardpack. Not much topsoil if any.

4. ALLPro Landscaping

If you have access to a skid steer take a rake to it take as mush of the garbage out as possible, rocks remaining wood etc, then I would lay a fresh layer of clean good quality top soil, at least 3" thick, you wont get much to grow in clay

5. JMiller08

Im thinking harley rake...add topsoil...seed and topdress with peat moss or compost..sound good?

6. ALLPro Landscaping

Yes on the rake, you have to remember you are dealing with just over 45000 sqft, so it can get pricey to topdress at first, can you have some one come in with a straw blower, or can you get it hydro seeded, if yo can just spread top soil and let them do the rest

7. ALLPro Landscaping

to get 3" thick of top soil yo will need around 417 yards of top soil, to top dress would be about 1/8 of that, still expensive you may save money just having it hydro seeded

8. JMiller08

I was thinking of the straw blowing idea, however this is probably a 3/4 million dollar home. I want to use only quality matieral. Cost i dont think is going to be an issue. Atleast i hope it wont be.

9. ALLPro Landscaping

so it sounds like you know what your doing from here, put you estimate together and go from their. also dont judge their wallet by the house they live in, price it right not real high and not low, price it how you know you can et the job done right

10. JMiller08

Im thinking of just going in there with the bobcat and harley rake, amending what is there, fill in low spots if any to get a good grade, seed then cover with 1/2 inch peat moss. Should be more cost effective. I will also reccomend an overseed and aeration for this fall.