1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to learn to climb?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by TruSomethingOrOther, Mar 15, 2014.

1. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I live in the northern Illinois region and been wanting to learn how to climb trees. Buying the rigging gear and whatever else needed wouldn't be a problem. I feel using the self teaching method is a risk on my end. How do I best go about this?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

3. lumberjack1986

lumberjack1986 LawnSite Senior Member

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

The above a Two suggestions would be fine. You may also want to contact a local chapter of the ISA OR the TCIA. Either of which will steer you in the right direction. All the best.
    easy-lift guy

5. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

This should have happened back when you were a kid...

6. TruSomethingOrOther

I meant with proper rigging equipment. It's not hard to learn the rest of dropping a tree, it's how to safely and properly utilize the equipment so you don't jeopardize your life.

7. TruSomethingOrOther

I've looked on the TCIA website and will investigate further. Not seeing too much information for the northern Illinois region. I know Asplundh has a huge market around here and they know how to climb. It's all about finding the right people to network with I suppose.

8. AmieW

AmieW LawnSite Member

9. Jamie James

Jamie James LawnSite Member

Question here I do landscaping and tree removal but when I do trees I can't handle I hire my friend he is a cert aborest.

I just turned 42 am I to old to start learning how to climb trees and such. I can handle smaller trees.

10. lumberjack1986

lumberjack1986 LawnSite Senior Member

What's your question? My climber is 46.