Best way to learn to install sprinkler systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gcbama, Aug 27, 2006.

1. gcbama

gcbama LawnSite Member

Need help on learning how to install sprinkler systems. I want to add this to my list of services for my LCO. Is there any training courses? I would like to learn how during the winter months.

gcbama

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to learn is to work with a professional for free exchange for training.

3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Home Depot to the book section. There you'll find at least a couple of books on the subject. Also down the sprinkler parts isle you'll see free pamphlets from Rain Bird, Toro, Orbits that go through all the steps. I just did the same thing and installed the system at my house. Works great and the design was way better than a lot of the systems I've seen out there. It aint brain surgery. If you're at all mechanically inclined you shouldn't have any problem, if not, then maybe stick to cutting grass.

4. Dirty Water

The books at Home Depot are pathetic.

5. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

It you can understand what you are reading than this is the way to go, however if you have problems understanding what you read that the book can be as dirtywater put it pathetic. I would research as much as possible and do your own yard. You can also use the net, "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" Godd luck on your new adventure. :cool2:

6. Dirty Water

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com is far better than the Home Depot book.

I skimmed that book. It advocates using cut off nipples and instead of swing joints and ASV valves instead of one PVB or doublecheck.

7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the link. Every little bit of info helps.

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

When are people going to learn HD is not the place to buy stuff. WE ARE NOT HOMEOWNERS!!! There are supply houses that sell what we need to do the job.
    I don't know about your areas, but out of the 5 or so HD's in my area, none of them sell spinkler products, and i can't even find something there to rig a system to make it work. On the other hand, there's a dozen or so suppliers in the area, all whom i've gotten to know somewhat personally, all who know what i need, and give me a fair price.

HD may be good for a weekend warrior, or someone who is utterly clueless, but irrigation is a niche industry. to do the job right, i will not find what i need at Home Depot.

pg

9. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

The best way to learn is to get your hands dirty, books are good but experience is golden.

10. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I agree completely. In Texas, you have to be licensed. I took the course to get licensed but still felt like I had a lot to learn. A guy I knew did irrigation and I offered to help him for free if he would teach me some things out in the field. He agreed and it was well worth it. Try to find someone that would be willing to let you do this.