Best way to LEARN

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jason72g, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

I see all of the beautiful work a lot of you do, and often wonder to myself, where do you learn how to do this? I know you all have massive experience, etc, but where do you start?

I'm extremely confident in my lawn maintenance capabilities, but when it comes to landscape designing and implementation, my confidence goes way down.

Thanks for any input.

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Landscapers are born, not taught. Some guys just have a natural eye for it. Those that don't, show it in their work.

I'm not a landscaper, I just maintain it. :)

3. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

I don't buy that... Anything can be learned.

Any valuable input would be appreciated.

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Many books and courses one can take to learn it.

Best method I think is to work for a company that knows it. On the job training.

5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Like anything you can learn but some people have a knack and some dont.

Id say one of the biggest things you can do is take some sort of course for woody plant ID and perennial ID and design. Alot of 2 year schools offer this. Without a good knowledge of plants you are going to have one hell of a time designing and end of with either plants in the wrong spot or the exact same plants on each landscape.

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! Anything can be learned. Familiarity breeds confidence. Do free installs for friends/family, they buy material. That will give you practice.

7. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

The easiest way is to work for a company that is really good at it. I went to school, and i learned 100 times more out in the field plus you get paid for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point...I was going to mention to work for a company. But that might be hard running your own, plus if a competitor catches wind that you're learning from them they might not like that. But definitely the way to go, paid to learn.

9. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Yea if your boss finds out you have a company most likely he wont be very happy about it.
    It would be hard to do both at the same time. I feel you should know the majority of the work involved with the trade before starting a business. Its hard facing a client with lots of questions and not having the answers to them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

im in the same situation as you! what ive been trying to do is develop connections and sub out the work but ask if i can help on the job so i can learn how its done