Best way to let go clients

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tri-City Outdoors, May 27, 2011.

1. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

Over the years are route has grown tighter and tighter. Now we have a few remote accounts that a few year back were convenient! In all cases they are great clients. Also considering the last of our dust bombs. (non irrigated).

How would you handle it! Is it even worth doings in the first place!

BTW we are all ready only picking up new clients with in our current tight routes.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Raise their price!

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

dust bowls, or weed patches are horrible. i do still have some, but some i would just tell them i have health issues and can't do their property no more..lol.. not worth it for me

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that their property does not fit into your business model. I screen prospective clients very carefully and refuse lots of work from the start. I learned not to take non irrigated dust bowls where the only thing growing is the crabgrass and goose grass. The best screening tool is price. It is my belief that having to compromise on price then means you must do the same when on the other side of the checkbook. That is the difference between having to count every penny or living a comfortable life.

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

2 of the responses above are perfect.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

mdlwn

I have a totally different recommendation.

I would contact Competitors who work that area and SELL THEM THE ACCOUNTS. They are going to end up with them any how. Why not make a last profit off of accounts?? I would of course send a letter explaining to the accounts that due to rising Gas prices and other costs you have elected to stream line your routes rather than raise prices. The company you recommending they use is doing the same. They have been a excellent customer in the past and you feel they will be happy with the new service provider. Of course thank them for the years of past business.

Now an up side might be a Trading of accounts instead of a sale of accounts.

I build my business by Buying out other service providers. First thing I did was Cull those yards that didn't fit my business model and Sell them to those who's business model they fit. Occassionally I would Trade accounts instead of selling them. It worked.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

just stop going, they will get the picture. I had an account like this in a neighborhood where I used to do 5 yards, that dwindled to 1 last year. It was a real pain and out of the way to go to her yard. I put it off for a couple of weeks and finally went last week. The yard had just been cut, and it wasnt me. SHame to go out that way, cause she was a good customer for a few years. Oh well.....

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Or what I have also done in the past is find another lco in the area and tell the guy that he can have the account, they usually jump right on it..

9. Wouldn't telling her the situation been a tad more professional??
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing but different folks to different strokes. Myself I would explain the issue and be honest and frank. Not going would most likely leave a bad taste in the clients mouth and word of mouth works both ways, you never know who they may know in a area in which you are currently working.