1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way to level a yard?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matt1487, Feb 28, 2008.

1. matt1487

matt1487 LawnSite Member

I have a yard with a couple of basically dips. it has grass in the "holes" but I would like to make it level with the rest of the yard. What is the best way to do this? I have heard that I could just add some sand to level it. Would that work? Thanks
  2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would add topsoil. Lightly compacting with a yard roller until I got to the top 2 inches, then seed. just my 2cent
  3. MasterSparky

MasterSparky LawnSite Member

If you have bermuda or zoysia sand is great for leveling. Probably topsoil is the best for fescue and the like.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get the blended top soil as oposed to screened top soil, that would be good!
  5. MasterSparky

MasterSparky LawnSite Member

What exactly is screened topsoil?
  6. landscaperdan

landscaperdan LawnSite Member

I am having the same issue. Last season, I rented a compactor (heavy duty IR used for compaction asphalt) to try and level out the yard. It had rained heavily for a few days prior to installing new yard features. Skid stter ruts in a couple of areas. After rolling over it with the compactor, it smoothed out the lawn some, but not enough to make me happy. I talked to a sod farmer who recommended that I get a sod cutter, remove the sod in strips, level it out with blended top soil and then replace the sod strips in their original locations. We still have some snow on the ground here so I have been waiting on this. I've tried the water filled rollers (just tweaked my back for weeks!) and a heavy compactor and neither one worked satisfactorily. If your lawn is like my customers, you may need to strip the sod with a sod cutter and level it with topsoil before replacing the sod. Good luck and keep us posted on what you did to level the yard dips.
  7. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Couple of questions:
    How big is the yard, what type of grass, do you have pics, and of course what is the budget ? There are a couple of ways to do this anywhere from a immeadiate fix to fixing it over time with a couple of topdressings.
  8. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

What you did with the compacter was to create another problem which is compaction especially after a rain storm.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Using a drag mat is great for leveling those dips. You may have to do it a few times depending on the amount/type of fill needed but it wont be compact so the turf will fill in better/faster. It may settle in a month or so and you may need to do it again unless you used sand. But the sand is not the best for the turf.
  10. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

dozer, topsoil, harley rake, seed an hay. done