Best way to market "Extras"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stephenslawncare, Jul 18, 2007.

1. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Do you guys have any ideas for me on how to market my "extras". I currently offer mowing, cleanups, and hedge trimming. I really want to do more hedge trimming now because of mowing slowing down but i just done know how to let everyone know. It is on my flyer for the beginning of the year but have had only one call. I want to market mainly to my current mowing customers. What is the best way?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

In their monthly invoice, you can attach a sheet stating that you do other services such as hedge trimming, mulching, fall seeding, etc, etc.
    It could even be something like,
    "Don't wait, schedule your fall aeration and overseeding now. Limited slots available."

Or if you happen to see the customer outside while you are cutting, you could make mention to them anything around the landscape that you think needs tending to.
    Current customers are a great way to gain new work.

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good, point out things that need attention. Most will agree, "yes that needs attention" and you'll get extra work. Pays better than mowing only.
    It's the extras that you can provide that make a difference in your bottom line.

4. stephenslawncare

from Midwest

Just as a side note, I charge $30.00/hr for hedge trimming. Do you think I am charging too much.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

No. I think you are charging too little. You have to look at the full picture. Who, What, Why?
    Then price accordingly. Can you place the value on one hour of your life, breathing at $30 dollars? It's your life, you have to make that decision

Thats what you are charging for, your time on this planet.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I hadn't realized when I responded that you were 14, so I don't even know if you do monthly invoicing. You probably just go to the door and collect each time? If so, then that's when you make mention of anything else that you see that needs done around their landscape.

As for your price of $30 per hour, well... I believe that the perception of people hiring teenagers is that they are hoping to get it done cheap? Will they think 30 bucks an hour is too much? Hard to speculate.
    $30 an hour is too little for us, simply because we have lots of other expenses when it comes to running this business. So when it comes to pricing, you need to figure out what is a good number for you, and not go off of what is a good number for someone else.

7. stephenslawncare

from Midwest

Yes i am 14 and i do send out monthly invoices. It would be hard collecting from all 20 customers every time i mow. I know you guys charge more because you are doing this for a living and have much more expenses than me. I was thinking about lowering it to 25 in hopes of landing more jobs???

8. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I would just talk to them about it either in person or on the phone. I am currently calling all of our 250+ customers to check in with them and while I am doing that I offer other services. The response has been good. Try it, it cant' hurt.

9. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Maybe bid the job not by the hour. If your telling your customers $30hr to trim hedges they might think wow thats a lot of money, but if you tell them on a one hour job "this will be $30" they might be more willing. In my little experience telling customers what you gross per hour (even though its much lower than your net) makes them think your raping them. Lowering it to 25 is only gonna be $5 less and is really not that noticable to gain more customers imo. I would also attach other services to invoices, also let them know what you think needs work and they might let you.

10. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

When you send out monthly invoices, leave a box at the bottom titled "Notes"
    Always hand write a note,,,, example "this month I am applying the second step of fertilization for many customers, Would you like me to include you this month.
    Then follow up with a call."
    I know fertilization probably doesn't apply for you, but you get the idea
    Alan