Best way to market specialized overseeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by FIRESCOOBY, Mar 24, 2008.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all. I'm running the numbers on purchasing a LS Turf Revitalizer this year if I can swing it.

What I'm wondering is what is the best way of advertising this? In my area, 99% of overseeding is core aeration and broadcasting the seed. Most customers without education do not know any better. I'm afraid that the increased cost of dedicated slice seeding will scare them off.

Luckily a local dealer is going to be carrying the LS products, and maybe I can get a demo this fall. Before that, I would have to drive 45 miles just to rent a slice seeder.

Any info or direction you guys can provide would be awesome!!

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Your going to have to turn into a salesman for this, explain the positive side of the sliceseeder, how it buries the seed into the ground for better seed to soil contact, better protection from the birds and so forth, dont even mention price until after they are sold, You wouldnt buy a new car without a mfg. warranty would you ? then why would you seed your lawn without making certain the seed gets into the soil, where it needs to go? I'm NOT saying to warranty your job, just using it as a example, change it if you like, just stress that it would be silly not to use the slicer.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, and understand. I've never warrantied seeding work or plantings. Only a few of my lawns have irrigation and most people do not irrigate enough on their own.

I'd really like to add this to my offerings, but don't want to spend $4k+ and not be able to pay for it within a year or two.
  4. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

bump --------bump
  5. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I'm sort of new to this board and dont know if this is allowed, but try, they have good deals on seeders, like 400.00, try it out and see if there is a market for you, you'll most likely get all your money back this spring, and you'll know if you want to invest in a better unit or not, I have a powerseeder and it's paid itself off many times by now.
  6. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

They key to getting high paying quality seeding jobs is direct marketing.

When I did this with my business, we would send you postcard the months of July & Aug. These post card would have before and after pictures of lawns we have done in the past. They were around $0.04 each and we would purchased 10,000 at a time.

I still have people call us for power seeding from postcards we sent out 3 years ago. Wo dont do it anymore, but this is by far the most effective.

I would net $400 - $600 per hour running seeders. I made enough money in just 1 season of using our Turf Revitalizer's that I was able to start Lawn Solutions Commercial Products and go global with our products is just 2 years. We did all this without any investors just from revenues from power seeding.

We have many customers who paid for their machine the first day and even more the first 2-3 days.

The reason for selecting a machine, should be based on profitability and customer satisfaction (results based). In the end, the results to the customer are what matters and how you are going to get more high end customers.

There are some very good post card companies out there on the net. Just look them up. They are always doing specials.

Hope this helps.