best way to move 30cy of woodchips

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRS Landscaping, May 24, 2008.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what the best way of doing it ? i was thinking a skid steer.. my father said to just get 3 people with wheelbarrows for 2 days. it is being spread out

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

30 yards would not take 2 days with 3 guys...3 guys should be able to spread that amount in under a day. Granted it is alot of material to move by hand so a skid might be worth it.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

depending on the distance covered.......3 guys should be able to knock that out in 5-7 hours......(2 yards / guy/ hour)

If you use wheel barrows, it would be nice to have a mini skid at least to quickly load them......

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i use a skid steer for anything over 10 yards. definitely saves on labor at that point.

5. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just moved and spread 8 yds in 51/2hrs by myself out of the back of my pickup into my wheelbarrow. But let me tell you my a$$ is kicked Get to go back tomorrow to spread 2 yds of play sand and 2yds of slag.

6. JRS Landscaping

i forgot to mention it is being dumped on the driveway. its about a 100ft run on level ground from there

7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking root mulch or wood chips from a chipper? If from a chipper rent the skid steer, there a ***** to shovel or fork.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd probably get a skid or compact tractor with a loader, you could probably rent one for $150.00 or so for the day.

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't be dumped closer? Skid could do some solid damage to the grass.

10. JRS Landscaping

wood chips from a chipper