Best Way to Move BIG Piles of Leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by steveo95, Nov 24, 2010.

1. steveo95

steveo95 LawnSite Member
    from SC

What's the easiest (least time consuming) way to move BIG piles of leaves after you blow them into the pile.....keep blowing, tarp, leaf plow....etc?

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried a 9HP Little Wonder, rake/tarps, and a jrco leaf plow. The plow is the winner by far. However, the plow lasted only 2 seasons. I plan to buy another.

3. steveo95

steveo95 LawnSite Member
    from SC

How much do the plows run and will they be effective on a belt walk behind?

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to move leaf piles, use a Jrco leaf plow. It is a staple in our leaf clean up arsenal. It costs around $400. It will work on a walk behind.

5. steveo95

steveo95 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Thanks. I have tried tarps, blowers everything except the leaf plow. Definitely going on the list for next year.
    I hate blowing half a pile then going back to get the other half. :dizzy:

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My Lazer with the bagger unit on it works decent as a leaf plow. Just drop the deck a bit drive into the pile and bulldoze. Some will tend to fall off to the side but it works surprisingly well. The JRCO tine rake isn't half bad either. Then there's the 10HP blower and tarps of course.

7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

we use a leaf plow, trying to upload some pics from my phone we took today

8. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

yeah and you dont have to go buy a leaf plow and you can just run your walkbehind into it and push alot

9. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

be careful getting the leaves around the engine/ exhaust they will catch on fire!

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. It can happen. Leaves can also get into ....ummmmm...what's that called...that thingy that spins around where the recoil start is. The leaves get shredded up and can block the air flow around the engine. Not good. But they can get into the deck belt area and cause a friction fire too.