best way to move up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by backtobasicslawncare, Jul 9, 2007.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

i was wondering i have 10 accounts and still have residental equipment except blower. i would like to learn more about the business??

thanks,
    mike

2. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

Keep on reading the posts on this forum. I have learned alot by just reading through them. 10 accounts... sounds like your off to a better start than I am.

-Frank

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Mike you have been a member for a few months so i assume you have done plenty of reading, what part of the business do you wish to learn more about ?

4. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

i would like to learn about how to get new customers. because i think i charge to much sometime.

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you charging if you dont mind ? Why do you feel youre charging to much ?

6. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

the lowest is $35 and the highest is $60

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Well is that 35 for 1/4 acre lots and the 60 per acre ? Are people telling you your to high ? What size lots are you doing, are most of the property's open. 35 is a good minimum to charge for for things under 1/4 acre,but if there are 4 other guys in the neighborhood doing them for 25 you may have to drop your price to get more work.

8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Where abouts/how do you advertise ?

9. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

actually i put up a lawn flyer at the local grocery store. in the past like right before fall i have gone door to door and try to pick up customers that way. and i have white board thats big i put in my front yard where everybody can read it and i had few calls from that.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What I do is allways bid high, you can always come down, but it's almost impossable to go up,

you guys are gonna have to learn to talk,

Everyone has grass, if they dont "living in an appartment" then they know someone who does,

ASK EVERYONE U SEE,

tell them who you are and what you do. Go sell your self, go ASK..... ASK to see the manager in every store you go into.

I would bet that in a course of a day, "average" your in contaic with at least 100 people,,,,,

How many of them have you talked to and asked ?