Best Way to Mulch with a Scag 36" WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJK61, Jul 26, 2005.

1. MJK61

MJK61 LawnSite Member

Could someone please tell me what is the best mulching approach when cutting with a Scag 36" WB. I purchased Scag's mulching kit (which was nothing more than a plate to cover the side discharge). When I cut the grass, I get a heavy trail of grass clippings along the right side of the mower. I'm currently using a Bobcat Hi-Lift blade that was highly recommended on this forum. The blade is less than a season-old with once a week cuttings.

Interestingly, I cut the same grass (at the same height) with my old Craftsman 21" mulching mower and the cut is beautiful. The mower leaves no grass clippings at all. Why does my $100 lawnmower do a better job cutting grass than a $1500 Scag?

Any advice from the professionals would be greatly appreciated.

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Ditch The Mulch Plate Except For Leaves, Use Some Gator Blades And If You Need To The Either Checkerboard Cut The Lawn Or Bag It.

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

high lifts aren't mulcher blades generally speaking. You probably need to try a dedicated mulcher like Gatorblades or Scag's own recommendation for their machines. We do a fair job of mulching with high lifts on our Ariens Z but it will leave a slight trail on the blocked off discharge side. We need to find a source for mulch blades for our machine too.

4. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

When you put the plate on did you take off the triangular shaped piece under the deck on the discharge side. If you do not take this piece off the grass will hit it and drop straight down leaving a line. Removing the piece allows the grass to float above the blade until it is chopped fine. Also try running doubles. I have found that stock blades on bottom and gators on top work very well. I did this on a Scag 52" Wb and it did a really good job.