Best way to obtain new customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dura to the max, May 17, 2008.

1. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

Ive been cutting yards for about 6 years now, but i quit for a short spell and lost a good bit of my accounts. What is the best approach to getting new accounts this time of year?
  2. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

anything you can do I would say. I know a lot of guys have a lot of luck with door hanger flyers, I just orderd 1000 of them for 200 bux. Due to a family death I got set back about 2 weeks so Im getting a late start for a new business. I handed out maybe 200 flyers in the past 3 days and I got 2 call backs. But from what I hear as soon as you get a job, put up a lawn sign and that will bring in work. Also when neighbors start seeing you doing work that helps too
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Do real good work on your properties and throw signs up everywhere.

In my's all about the do a good edging job, and mow straight lines, and people stare and come running.
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

as good work, remind customers to refer you to others who ask...... Signage........
  5. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Here's how I picked up a new customer----no joke

I went fishin'!!!!!!

Thats right!!!! One of my customers has a lake right in front of his house and another in back---rural area

He told me anytime I wanted to fish----to help myself---and so yesterday I took my son and nephew to his place

The customer's son----he sees us out fishing on his dad's place and decides he'd "check out" who it was fishing

I introduce myself to him---tell him that I maintain his dad's turf

When he hears that----he hands me a business card and tells me he doesn't have time to keep up his yard and wants his weekends free and that he wanted me to work him up a price for turf care

Moral of the story??? Fish more often than you mow!!!!!!:weightlifter: Somebody will see you out fishing on the lake and come check you out!!!

Heck----one customer I have---I was pulling up to mow his lawn---and I had to back my trailer up a little in the street---and I "touched" the neighbor's edge of the yard with my trailer---the neighbor sees what I did---told me not to do it again----then wanted me to give him a price to take care of his turf----since this guy didn't have a lake in his yard stocked with largemouth bass----I told him to go take a hike!!!!:weightlifter:
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I went fishing yesterday. Didn't catch any new customers but I did catch 13 largemouth bass and 2 huge Crappy! :)