Best way to pick up walnuts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schuley, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Schuley

Schuley LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any better ideas than a rake or by hand? Getting sick of all these darn walnuts to pickup......

2. ukcats

ukcats LawnSite Member

I have a lawn thats covered in walnuts. I have checked with the home owner and we advertise free walnuts. it actually works have a guy come in pick them all up for us. So I don't need to pcik them up or mow over them. There are alot of older people that will come and pick them and get rid of them for u

3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't you use a Billy Goat lawn vac?

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that would sound like a machine gun going off. LOL Never mind what it will do to the impeller.

Have a kid go in a pick them all up for a cool $5. :)

5. lower the deck and let them fly.

6. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I guess that would be a loud S.O.B :laugh: I figured if a billy goat could suck up glass it would do walnuts. But, those nuts are some hard m f'ers!

7. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

There's a rolling wire basket type tool that is made for walnuts etc. It is on a broom stick and consists of a rolling cage about the size of a football. You also need the wire braket for emptying it, that hangs on a 5 gallon bucket. I've used them quite a bit and they work great.

8. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Black walnuts? I've got 3 of the trees in my yard and I'm here to tell you a Billy Goat vacuum will not pick them up. They are too heavy and round to effectively create enough lift for any walk behind vacuum (our or competitors) to effectively pick up. It will pick up some of them and they are no match of 1/4 armor plate steel spinning at 3600 rpm. I've found it will only get about 25 to 50% of them and that's not enough for me. The way I handle them is with a wheeled blower. I use one of our 9 or 13 hp self-propelled units (I live on a moderate hillside) and blow them to and unkempt area of my yard.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  9. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

An army of radioactive mutated squirrels.

10. Schuley

Schuley LawnSite Senior Member

The squirrels are infact picking them up....but only a few, and then they leave half of it sitting on the deck....
    I'm sure i'll figure out something, either that or find someone willign to tag along for walnut pick-up duty!