Best way to pitch realtors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 26, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I know this has been done before , however, what is the best way to contact a realtor for a bid.

I walk a lot of neighborhoods putting out flyers and notice a lot of properties for sale in need of lawn care. is it best to call direct and if so what works best to say?

I know alot of people have said that realtors suck, but if you are there antwyaand they dont really care about quality then whats the difference.
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides, the property owner is responsible for the upkeep.

The realtor may pass your info on to the owner, but if you target the owner directly you are more likely to get results.

The only way the realtor could help is if he/she was given the authority to maintain the property but that is unusual.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How bout a Curve ball? Maybe a slider?...

What the heck, pitch em in the garbage!:D
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Go and talk with the realtors. Let them know that you provide maintenance services. I have a relative in the real estate business and she was going to hook me up big time but I wasn't in the position to drive 45 to the jobs everyday to the lawns. Don't have time to make that kind of trip with school and everything. Just get in chummy with them and give them some fliers. The realtor will pass on the information to people who want lawn care when they buy the house. That's what kind of deal I was going to get into. Good luck!
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Darn it 65 Hoss beat me to it. I was thinking the best way to pitch them is head over heals.
  6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep generally Realtors are looking after the property for someone else,so any work you do for the Realtor is actually billed to the house owner.The Realtor wont put his hands in his pocket,which leaves you stuck in the middle if theres any dispute with the house owner.My last Realtor job was an urgent must be done today job,as they generally are with Realtors,because we got buyers looking at it tomorrow morning.The lawns hadn't been cut for months,so I did it,tidied the place up,and sent in the appropriate bill.5 months later I got paid,the guy who authorised the job had left the firm,theres no money in the houseowners account with us,we lost your invoice,..blah,blah,blah and on it went.Only good thing was the check came out of the Realty firms pocket.The other one is Mr "Million Dollar" Realty Broker,needs a lawn cut today because he's selling a million dollar house this afternoon and needs it looking good for the buyers,He promises to pay you direct,don't bother going through the firm,my commission will be so big the lawn job will be peanuts out of it.House sells,Mr Million Dollar gets his big commission check and promptly forgets the lawn guy....until you phone his boss direct and jump up and down about it.I still do some Realtor jobs but only for a local broker I know personally.:dizzy:
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good place for a contract to be used.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not really. Just avoid them all together.
  9. nuthinlikeadame

nuthinlikeadame LawnSite Member

I never met a realtor who wasn't dishonest. You may want to give it a go but I would get every penny up front. And when they ask you why, you just unabashedly tell them that their's is an industry full of unscrupulous liars and then smile and watch/listen to their reaction.:p
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Realtors must all attend the same school.

How to be a prick 101.
    How to look like a prick.
    How to act like a d--- head.
    How to keep from drowning with your nose stuck high in the air.
    How to lie, cheat, and steal while keeping a straight face.
    How to live in poverty while making others think your a millionaire.

I'd pitch them straight up the middle and crotch high.:mad:

I know one realtor that I like.........he used to cut grass. I already see a transformation taking place though.

I sincerely have no use for any of them.
    Especially the one that sold me our house.

If you want to work for nothing them continue on your present course.