1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way to pull stumps out?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tyler7692, May 26, 2008.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, help me out here-

What is the best way to go about pulling 14 hedge stumps out? I know I will need to dig down to get a good grab on them (they are only about a foot tall). Should I rent a small tractor? I don't want to tear up the lawn pulling these out. I will also be planting about 20 new small to medium size shrubs. What is the best way to go about this, and would would you charge?
  2. ropinghorns

ropinghorns LawnSite Member

Charge a lot and use a mini-excavator with a thumb. Or tie a chain around them, run it over the top of a wheel [that has no tire on it] and pull with anything you have available. Note; the wheel is up next to the stump.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Chain and truck
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

How big around are the stumps. I've seen large hedge stumps that needed a bull dozer to be pulled out. Is it an option to grind them down below soil level or are there going to be new plantings there.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well getting the tractor or bobcat requires time and trailering. I usually do it with my dump truck anyways.
  6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

rent a vermeer stump grinder.
  7. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Skid steer may take trailering and travel time, but those bushes would be out in a heart beat. Chain around base to bucket and lift. If you park near the spot you can dump them right into your truck and cut down on cleanup time as well. Price it with the rental cost built in, add the transpo time in as labor. Much easier than with a shovel and even a pickup - but those will work as well. 12 would just take awhile that way, especially if you break roots. My $.02
  8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

If professionalism is of concern, dont tie them to your truck and yank!
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you are replanting shrubs - why do you NEED to remove the stumps?
  10. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

good answer.thats how i have always done it also.