best way to reach goal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigLag, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

my goal is to make $1000/day...what do some of you money makers do to attain this. is it bunch of small yards or fewer bigger yards?

2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Alone not gonna happen! Unless you are into something special!

I aim for $400-500 per person per day which would include a 10% profit margin.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How any guys? Just yourself it will be hard, but it can be done. First off bid to make money, be efficient from the time you leave the shop until your done. Lastly keep tight routes, amazing what changing a few jobs around can do to the bottom line. Also never put off till tomorrow what can be done today, shoot for $1000 everyday and you'll be surprised what can get done.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Well today and for the next month we will be doing as many aerations, dethaching and fertilizations as humanly possible. Friday we have 20 Aeration/powerake/fertilizations scheduled. I hopefully will have my two guys with me. We should bill close to $3800.00 for the day.

$75/$75/$41 This is the minimum that we charge, some will be a bit more.

I can get anywhere from 7-15 done a day by myself, mostly just aeration and fert. Plus our visits to our yearly customers.

During the season we do as much pruning as we can for our weekly customers. this spring is shaping up to be one of our better years. we usully run two mait. crews but I decided to raise prices and reduce our size to one crew of 3-4 with myself running it. So far so good, if I can get these guys to show up. What about yourself?

5. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Good gosh i need to do whatever the heck ya'll are doing to make that much. With just me i hope to do 700 per week. That is rediculous 500 per PERSON. I need some of those accounts. I currently have mainly as needed accounts which suck. I want to convert ot weekly or bi weekly but in this town that will never happen. Not many people care about how there lawns look in this neck of the woods. Any suggestions on how to convert these accounts to bi weekly or contract accounts?? Thanks.

6. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

one 2 man crew for me. usually pay the other guy 100 to 150 per day and leaves 300-500 for me. i personally am finding it better to cut fewer bigger yards b/c it cuts down on drive time. the guy that i usually get isn't the greatest of workers, but pretty frickin' reliable. lawnzilla, what about during the summer when its cutting time? our cutting season here lasts pretty long and that's usually where i make most of my dough. i get a few big cleanups each year, but not 3800 worth IN A DAY!

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

We arent mow only so it is much easier to bring in $500 a day on average.

I would be hard pressed to get $350-400 mowing.

On a good mulch day we can bring in $1000 per day per peson but a lot of that is material cost anyways. Mowing is all labor.

8. ACA L&L

I think the key is there has to be a need for it. Here none will mow bi weekly or one time. Only weekly or yearly(coplete property mait. contract)

They can find someone to do the same job for $100 bucks but we mainly do upper end customers. They pay for qaulity and they demand it. We do the aer/pr/fert and dont need to go back for a couple of weeks. When I started out we were one of the compnays that would do it for $100-$125. Now we get $200 for it all. Im sure there are companys out there that do triple this during the spring. If I had to I would attempt to do it all by myself like I did today. Theres no way i would get it all done but for that price I would be out there on sat and sun cuz mon we start all over again.

9. ACA L&L

This summer is going to be diffrent. we usually run two mowing crews and a cleanup/pruning/sprinkler repair/ estimate crew.
    This year we are going down to one crew of 2 guys Maybe a 3rd on friday.
    Im on track to make $800-$1000 a day with a helper.

10. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

any recomendations on how to swing them in that direction. To wnat to have a great yard. We have very wealthy people in our neighborhood but none of them know what or how to do it.