best way to reduce violets naturally

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Apr 7, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i know these bad boys are hard to control with chemicals so i suppose controlling them naturally is almost impossible. hell, i've had a hard time spreading round up on them and killing them. is there anyway to reduce their spreading? mowing techniques? bag them clippings? is it possible to dig them up and put down soil and reseed those areas? burn out II?

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

The Green Guardian 14-0-5 works well at getting them out without using traditional chemicals.

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how much do you have to apply? just like you said with the other weeds like dandelions? 1 gallon 14-0-5, 3 gallons water, then apply it once a week for 3 weeks straight?

do you have pics of your product controlling violets or do they just kinda brown them up?

thanks

4. green_mark

The application rate and timing are correct. I will look for photos but for the most part it does brown them out.

5. lawnsbytim

lawnsbytim LawnSite Member

I got kill off with green gaurdian, heat was the key. Hit it in the morning of a 80 degree day.

6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

OK - what is in Green Guardian 14-0-5 that controls weeds?

I just looked breifly at greenguardian.us but found no info on what is in the products. I assume that the 14-0-5 is an NPK number. Of course there are many commercially available organic lawn fertilizers, and the ones that I have seen will give a complete list of the ingredients. I have never heard of a product containing "organic" weed control that can work in lawns (kills weeds, does not hurt turfgass, no chemicals).

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Guardian is not marketed as organic or chemical, but edible and pesticide free. I believe the difference between the 14-0-5 and the 5-0-3 is the subtraction of urea. Mark, correct me if I'm wrong.

Go in the GG sponsor forum and download a catalog if it's still available. I think the ingredients are listed in there.

8. green_mark