best way to remove a rr tie wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by vaacutabove, Apr 25, 2013.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

First off I'm not a hardscaper. I have a job to remove a rail road tie wall bring in dirt and soft scape. My question is what do u think works best a skid with forks or a mini with a thumb to remove two 3 ft walls 60 ft long
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

Mini with a thumb. You will not have to balance the ties on the forks like you would with a skid. Also it will make it easier to remove the ties that are blow grade

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't a one size fits all.

#1. RR tie walls usually have bees nests inside/behind them. So BEWARE.

#2. If the wood is rotten - you won't need an excavator. A skiidy bopper will work fine.

#3. If the wood isn't rotten then you probably should use an excavator.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, the wood is for the most part in decent shape. I was thinking the mini with a thumb as well but needed some reassurance. Would hate to get about thirty min into it and be kicking my self.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Mini with a thumb is the only way imo.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Chain Saw and have extra chains start cutting it in 5ft chunks Then take mini w/thumb start pulling it apart

I did one few years a go Started out slow just with mini. With the chain saw it pick up the pace more

7. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I tore one down for a retaining wall, Pretty easy to do with a skid but hell to load for disposal. The wall wasnt rotted and had 1 below grade with about 10 4' deadmans. Really wasnt a problem but loading was a hassle. If I had to rent the equipment Id DEFINATELY rent the excavator. If I had the skid I may just use that. Excavator will definately be faster and easier though.

8. zedosix

In most applications an ex will outperform and save time over the skid especially demoing
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

a skid steer can load the old material on a truck or in a dumpster much faster than an ex.

10. zedosix

This could be argued all day but the fact is if the dumpster is close to the retaining wall and excavator sits in one place swings over pulls up the wall, swings in the other direction and loads, very little ground disturbance very little effort required now having both machines you can accomplish anything
    Posted via Mobile Device