Best way to remove asphalt driveway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Jan 11, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Wondering what is the best method for ripping out an asphalt driveway. Little background:

The driveway is ~220lf in length and approximately 13' in width. Then there is a parking pad about 1900sf. The driveway is on a steep incline and over the 220lf it makes about a 180 degree turn from the bottom of the hill to the top of the parking pad. Sorta like an backwards C. The driveway is in bad shape. There are huge potholes all over and in some spots its to the point that its crushed into tiny pebbles. I would say thickness is between 3 and 4 inches. So assuming 4 inches that would give me about 60 yards of ashpalt to recycle. FYI, I would guess there is a 30 foot height difference between parking pad and were the driveway enters the county road.

So, my question is what is the best method to rip this out. I'm thinking a mini-x with a plow blade or a skid steer. Although I'm not sure how the skid is going to handle the slope...which is pretty significant. I'm assuming a mini-x with a thumb isn't going to help since the ashpalt is so brittle it will just fall apart.

My thought was to have the combination of my dingo and a mini-x. Have a 30 yard concrete dumpster there for the morning and fill it. Then have that picked up and another dumpster dropped off the following day. FYI, I have a 14' dump trailer but I could only legally carry ~3 yards at a time. But if the number is slightly over 60 I wouldn't need another dumpster.

Any opinions of this?

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't removed a lot asphalt drives, mostly concrete, but they both come out the same. Usually we use the skid-steer with the pallet forks and the bucket. I slide the forks under the slab, lift up, it usually breaks around 4'-5', flip over on to the next slab, and then break that one. Then pick up both with the pallet forks. You may want to run a saw cut down the middle so the slabs aren't so wide. If the asphalt is to brittle than use the bucket and just plow in to it and pick up all of the little pieces.

I come up with about 82 actual yards. As a gauge we just removed a 2000SF drve and 200-300sf of walk and it took 4 20yd cans to do it. 60 yards seem a little short. Also make sure the dumpster company can pic up 30 yards of asphalt. i know they can't do it with concrete.

3. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Skid steer is the best way to go for smaller jobs.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Skid steer will do it fine

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I've thought about the pallet fork thing. That's what we use our dingo for walkways. Use the cutoff saw to cut into manageable pieces, lift, break, and place in dump trailer. I just didn't think it (asphalt) would come off in whole pieces like concrete does. I guess it won't hurt to try it when/if I do it but I won't plan on that being the method.

About my math...

220x13 is 2860 plus the 1900 is 4760sft @ 4" thick is 1586 cuft which is 58.76 cuyds. Assumed 60. Right?

With that said the drive isn't any thicker than 4" in fact its probablly more like 3. Should I be adding a factor of a certain % due to it being asphalt...again not sure here.

Good point about the 30yd dumpster. I don't know what I was thinking...you are right the concrete recyclers are 20yd containers....basically a 30 yarder with the short sides. Humnnn not sure if I can get them to drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon...will have to check on that one. Might have to extend this to a three day deal.

Also, on the removal I'm assuming 3000#'s per yard or about 90 ton total for the job. I believe I can get it recycled for about 20 per yard. I know if I take it to the place I'm charged between 12 and 15 depending on where I go. So I'll figure about 2000 for material removal plus machine rental and labor.

any more thoughts?

6. farmboy555

farmboy555 LawnSite Member

the asphalt should come up pretty easy with a reg. bucket with teeth. once you get a starting point started. around here most driveway's are only 2" thick. good luck dennis

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the dimensions, but they're irrelivant.

Just use a skid steer with forks.

forks will be 50% quicker than than a bucket.

end of discussion!

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What he said. Break it with forks and load it with a tooth bucket. Stay away from a mini-ex, it will take forever. If you are concerned about the slope rent a track machine (T-190, T-300, Tak-130, Tak-150 for example).

Also, the "30 yard" dumpster. Forget the train of thought you are using as it will take more due to weight. Use my dump trailer for example, it holds 5 yards of mulch easy. If I pour 5 yards of concrete into it, yes it will hold that much but I would be severly over weight.

Dumpsters with concrete/stone are usually never filled more than 1/3. We've had trucks refuse the load until some was removed due to weight. Once they leave the property they are reponsible for the load. One drive got close to a $2,000 ticket for being over loaded...........guess he couldn't see the 4'x8' boulder under the trash BUT he accepted the load and the risk........this was all at my previous company but just example for you to keep in mind with material vs dumpster vs weight.

9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

You have to add air space in with your volume figures. Just because you have a twenty yard dumpster doesn't mean you'll fit 20 yards of material in it unless you grind the asphalt into little junks.

See if your dumpster company will switch your cans out during the day. We time ours so they pick up the full one and drop off an empty. We have done 4 cans in one day.

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine, who owns a paving company uses a mini-x and loader. The mini-x tears up the asphalt starting from the street working his way back while the loader scoops up the crushed pieces and loads truck. They are very fast with this method and fill the trucks without a lot of dead space because the pieces are small.