Best way to remove mortar from bluestone?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by proscapesvirginia, Sep 2, 2007.

1. proscapesvirginia

proscapesvirginia LawnSite Member

Anyone have any best practices around removing mortar from reclaimed bluestone originally wet laid? My customer just had a large walkway demoed and wants us to use the old intact bluestone for a dry laid walkway in another area. Most of the mortar knocks off pretty easy but there is still a thin layer of residual here and there. I know a muriatic acid solution will probably discolor the porous stone. Any other suggestions?

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

is the mortar on both sides? if not why worry about the residual layer. for the larger pieces i would use a small air chisel. even if the mortar comes off easy this makes it a one hand operation and much faster than a hammer and chisel.

3. proscapesvirginia

proscapesvirginia LawnSite Member

It's only an issue around some of the edges actually. Jason, I see your in Mays Landing. I grew up in Woodstown/Salem County area. How's business up there?

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I can't complain, it has slowed a little lately, but it has been booming here for the past 7 years or more. we have been busy all season, just a little slow right now. you could try a wire cup on a grinder, not sure it will work, but it can't hurt to try.