Best way to remove Pulley on Deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mexiking, Aug 20, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm stuck removing the pulley on the deck spindle for a 36" exmark metro , The Key in it broke and i'm replacing it but I can't remove the pulley, I tried a gear puller but the pulley Bent... I unbolted the spindle and gave it some taps to push it down but it won't budge. I removed the allan key lock also, Any suggestions? Help thanks

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know the answer, but i will be doing the same thin the end of this week, you might try going to exmarks website and looking at a parts diagram and make sure you haven't missed a retaining ring or something

3. mexiking

from NJ

well yeah somebody help us

4. mexiking

from NJ

anybody? i'm on my garage right now heh

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Get a bigger better puller :) Just kidding Mexiking. If the key broke, you might have to cut the pully off. Doesn't Exmark use a cast iron pully ? You didn't really bend the pully ?

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

A harmonic balancer puller works fine. Run some bolts through the holes in the pulley and put a nut on them. Check if there is a set screw under the pulley that was holding the key, and back it out.

7. 44DCNF

balancer puller
    [​IMG]

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know the key is broken, BEFORE you have removed the pulley? Is the pulley spinning free on the spindle? If so, perhaps you have put a groove in the spindle, leaving an edge and ridge. This could mean the diameter of the spindle is now slightly larger than the pulley diameter, making it hard to get the pulley over the ridge.

I echo the question posed above regarding "bending the pulley." I have an Exmark Viking, 36" deck. Each pulley on the spindles are cast iron. I think they will break before they will bend.

Any pics? That would be a huge help.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

My Exmark is a ZTR, but I presume the basic design of the spindle & pulley is the same as yours. After reading what you and others wrote, I looked at the part's manual for mine. There's a ring clip on the spindle shaft, but it's below the spindle housing which is below the pulley, so it doesn't look like that ring clip should be preventing you from getting the pulley off. So it must be that broken key you mentioned that is holding the pulley on the shaft. Sounds like bigger muscles or a bigger puller will be the answer. I'll send you the part's manual diagram of mine if you are interested. If so, send me a PM with an email address.

10. 44DCNF

I have a metro. They are not cast pulleys, at least not on my 01 model. And my metro uses a key with a set screw. I figure he had the same set up where he said he "removed the allen key lock". If your pulleys look like these Mexiking, rig a way to pull them from the holes in them? I suppose you know to tighten the puller, then smack it with a hammer, tighten more and smack it again? While your locating or making a puller that will work soak the joint with some wintergreen oil, fluid film, or other penetrating oil
    [​IMG]