Best way to remove 'weeds' from lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by recycledsole, Sep 28, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hello
    i am totally new to this and appreciate any knowledge and advice you will share.
    my client has a lawn that has some weeds growing in with the grass, like violets, creeping charlie, etc... i know i could get in there manually pull them up, could i rake them? also, i could use an herbicide, but how do i apply that without killing the grass theyred mixed in with?

thanks!

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Prepare yourself to be grilled. If you're posting a question like that it is clear you do not have a license. Members on this forum do not appreciate people spraying without a license. You need to contact a local company and sub out. By the way selective herbicides do not kill desired Turf if used appropriately
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Yeah find a good sub. And charge appropriately. If you get caught spraying anything like that commercially (for money/ on property that is not yours) you could be subject to big fines.

Without seeing the lawn I have no idea exactly what to suggest... Most of my lawns I only have to spot spray... Give your local John Deere landscape supply a call and they will try to find something that might work for you.

4. recycledsole

from MD

thanks, herbicide is the last way i want to go. if i hand pull what i can and plant nice grass there woudlnt it out compete the weeds?
    thanks

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hand pulling is somewhat effective on violets as most herbicides do not work well. Be prepared to see long underground roots and rhizomes--and be prepared to remove same--or violets will resprout. My organic customers got 10 minutes of hand weeding with each fertilizer treatment. Creeping charlie is also tough--but long runners are above ground. Try various knives, hand saws and weed spuds.

Dense grass is a help in fighting weeds. If you don't go with sod, look for a bluegrass seed that claims in its literature to be dense and weed resistant. The athletic types are a good start. Blackberry for instance.
    http://www.turfmerchants.com/kentucky_bluegrass/blackberry.php

Bluegrass is not competitive in a shady situation, you need full sun if you want it thick.

6. recycledsole

from MD

Thanks Riggleplc
    actully the area where weeds are most dominant is shady. i think ill reccomend a bed of flowers there

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that you will need varieties that are adapted to shade like New Guinea Impatiens, Coleus (not really a flower) ect
    Steve