best way to replace trailer floor?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SangerLawn, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

What is the best way to replace boards on a 16 foot trailer? I thought you had to cut the back lip off and the boards would come right out (still think this will work) but someone told me that you don’t have to. Of course this is from a person that had someone tell him.

He said to cut the old boards out. Next, put as many boards back in as you can by putting them diagonal then straightening them once there in place. The last board or 2 he said to put in under the lip then put a pipe under it. He said the 16 foot board will bow over the pipe. Then use a large C clap to hold the other end down and then use a hammer to remove the pipe. He said when the pipe comes out that the board will snap into place.

Has anyone ever done this before? Normally when something seems too easy it normally is….any suggestions? We never had to replace a floor before.

2. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

that will work but i have used just a 2 by in the middle of the floor board and bow it and kick the board out and falls into place(2 ppl) but cutting the back angle off and welding back on is a much better way!

3. SangerLawn

from indiana

Why is it a much better way? Is it faster, safer, or easier?

4. scotlykins

scotlykins LawnSite Member

Add another to that list.

5. rwar

rwar LawnSite Member

I striped my trailer and drove over to home depot and got my lumber,the new lumber fit lengthwise perfect,so I put in as many as I could there in the parking lot.I thought I was going to have to cut the lip to put the other three in,but instead I used a big set of channel locks and bent it up enough to get the others in,then hammered it back down with a sledge hammer,way easier than I expected

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You can do it like that or this way. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162994&highlight=new+trailer+boards

Either way it will be easier than grinding the welds off and rewelding. Quicker too.

7. SangerLawn

from indiana

awesome!!! thanks for the help....the fun days of spring lol

8. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

I tried bending the board and it doesnt work. I would cut it and weld it back.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm not sure why you'd even have to bend them. I would just cut to fit without all that other crap and carriage bolt them down.

10. exmarksthespot

exmarksthespot LawnSite Member

What I did was have a welder take a notch out of the top lip of the rear channel that was about 1 1/2 boards wide. Then you can just slide boards in and out one at a time. When the last board goes in, drill a hole and secure it with a carriage bolt. Works great for me. No bending or fancy footwork needed.