Best way to secure customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

As the fall season is coming to a close, I feel that it is time to get some new customers for next spring. I am planning on going door to door in my target neighborhoods and talking face to face with potential customers. I will be dressed nicely in a business attire, with flyers that include contact and service information. I feel that if I can get through the door, then there is a good chance that I can get the customer's attention.

What suggestions do the pros have?
    Keep in mind that I am a college student with a long holiday break coming up with time to kill, not necessarily cash though.

What works best for you?

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search!!!!!!!!!!Every other post on here is about how to get more customers.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If it's me, I don't like being bothered at home by door to door salesmen.

I won't even answer the door unless it's a friend of mine, or the UPS/FedEx/US Postal service guy(or in the rare instance of a police officer lol).

But some seem to make door to door work. Just be polite, introduce yourself, explain what you do, and let the customer know that you're ready to provide any service they may need. Smile. Try to be quick and to the point so that you don't kill their attention span. And if they tell you to get lost, offer to leave a card/flyer in case they need anything, and thank them for their time.

4. Landscape Precision Inc.

Landscape Precision Inc. LawnSite Member

I agree with Fiveboy01.. I have a newborn and when the doorbell rings, the last thing I want to hear is a sales pitch.

Keep in mind although, that door to door can be very effective with the right prospects. Some people appreciate the interaction. Alot of my jobs apart from being word of mouth, has been from visually seeing me in the neighborhood and the curbside appeal from the jobs I maintaned... HOPE THIS HELPS.. :)

5. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

forgot to mention that the neighborhoods that I am attempting to get customers are ones that I have been working in for four to five years now. Others are the one that I live in, and then some that I know lots of people. Generally, I am trying to get people that may know who I am to recognize the quality services that I offer. To be more specific, I plan to hand them the lawn flyer, tell them that I hve been in business for "x" amount of years, have many pleased customers for refernecing, and then i will tell them to call if they are interested in learning more about how I can make/keep their lawn beautiful. I mean to keep it short and sweet, so that I am not an annoyance, and so that they will remember me for the work I do, not the way I can throw a sales pitch.

6. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Quick question, do you do snow removal? Or are you just looking to collect new clients for the spring?

What I do, is take all of my clients that I just got from leaf removal and all of my current year-long clients and mail out a snow removal estimate postcard to them. Almost 90% of the year-long clients want me to do snow removal, but the leaf removal clients are just getting to know me. So I feel a postcard with the price written on it, is an easy way to let them know (I already told them once, but to help follow up and reinforce the snow removal service idea) I will be available for snow removal in their area. I get the cards FREE from vistaprint (100 of them, plus 25 free magnet business cards, 10 notecards, free notepad, free calendar, and free Christmas cards, all WITH my logo on it. I just pay shipping and handling (normally around $9 to $14). And I get them in about a week or so. Looks really nice. Just sign up for their email specials. I normally order from them about 2 to 3 times in a month, and have gotten a ton of free advertising material with my logo on it.

Anyways, I also go to that new area I just did leaf cleanups at, and price other houses and send them a postcard with the price on it as well. I follow up (at this time of year) with a Christmas card and business magnet or calendar (which, remember I got all free) to all of my clients (year-long and new leaf removal). I normally get about 60 to 70% of the leaf removal clients to become snow removal clients. And then about 80% of the snow removal clients become lawncare clients for the spring and summer, and then they (about 90% become full-time year-long clients. And I start all over at leaf time again in the fall. I picked up 4 new clients side-by-side just from doing leaf removal initially just from being referred by one of them. And then bang, they all wanted leaf removal, and now they all want snow removal this winter. I even got half of them to sign up for lawn care in the spring. This is not to mention my other leaf removal clients I picked up this year.

IT IS really is easy to get new clients, if you just take the time to think about what your doing, and remember to put yourself in their shoes. Do you like pain in the butt phone calls? Door to door salesman? I personally, like to get junk mail, if I like what I see, I save it, and then contact the business when I need it. I find a lot of people are the same way. One of my new clients, writes business names and phone numbers down as she drives around town, if she feels they are any good and calls them up when she needs them. That is how I got her business.

I hope some of the information above helps you. But whatever you do, be creative and find ways to work within your budget. By working at it (and it does take some time to find the right path for you to follow), you will eventually turn your client-honing skills into a science.

Chris

7. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

I can't do snow removal because I am a full time college student and campus is a half hour drive away from home. Also, it would help if I had four wheel drive and a plow. I do like the idea of sending out postcards, but I had never found a good way to do it. I'll check out that website and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the help.

Dave

8. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

damn you get all of that for free?! sign me up!

9. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

sweet..i just ordered 250 business cards for $5.25!! the cards are free..all i had to do was pay shipping!

vistaprint is awsome!

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife tried the vistaprint thing for her business, and vistaprint was plastered all over.

I'd rather pay the price and get what I want.

Tim