Best way to secure equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 16, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

WHat is the best way in u guys' opinions to secure your trimmer/s, blower/s, and even possibly your mowers? I just had a nice $150 commercial blower ripped from my truck bed while I was in someone's back yard mowing. Now I take my trimmer and blower to the back yard of the customer's house before I do anything else. But it would be nice to be able to just lock it down or something so I could go in a store or not have to do that all the time.

2. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I've used Jungle Jims trailer racks for all of my equipment and love them. They all lock with a padlock and are very easy to use, not to mention they keep your stuff from rolling around. Others I know use trimmer trap products, basically the same as jungle jims stuff just a matter of price and preference. Get something soon or you will be out of equipment again, maybe more next time. First time your a victim, second time your just being stupid and asking for it. Good luck

3. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

Enclosed trailer.

I bought an 8'x20' enclosed cargo trailer about 2 months ago, put some $15 combination locks on, and I feel confident in going in a back yard without having to lock up everything. Sure, a real low-life could use a pair of bolt-cutters and cut the locks, but I am keeping the 'honest' man honest. At night, my trailer sits in my shop, or at least backed up to a fence. Better to lose a weed-eater than an Exmark ztr mower!

Plus, now I carry all the equipment I would ever need, including tools to do quick, on-site maintenance, and I do not have to worry about toolboxes. And all of my equipment is out of the weather. I sleep pretty good at night.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

until they take off with all your equipment...:) kidding..I second the enclosed trailer. you equipment will also last longer by staying out of the weather, road grime, ect.

but if you can't get an enclosed, getting some rubber coated cables with a pad lock through all the handles (gas cans included) will help deter the snatch and grab. But a trimmer rack and a blower rack will be a welcome addition or a large expanded metal toolbox with a lid will work as well. just remember to get locks. I would recommend and "american" lock most lock shops can rekey them easily so that are all keyed alike on your trailer. in case you have an employee leave and take keys with em...http://www.everysafe.com/American-Lock-A110X-YH1139.html

plus you can get high vis colors like red such that would be thieves can see em and move on.

What commercial blower did you buy for 150 bucks...

Also

keep in mind..bolt cutter and/or a cordless angle grinder with an abrasive cut-off disk will disable ANY lock and cable. You will not prevent a determined thief. You want to stop the snatch-grabs...

5. Lawnboy85

Lawnboy85 LawnSite Member
    from South

Very true. One thing I do worry about is someone stealing EVERYTHING. This business is my life and if I had to start over, I don't know what I would do. It's almost like you have to lock up the lock that locks the lock...if that makes sense. There was an article in our local paper about people stealing landscaping trailers. Busting down fences just to get to them. It's crazy stuff. You never can be too safe in this world.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we had two thefts at TGLC branches in my region whern I worked for them.

in one branch Northern VA 2 trucks and 2 trailers driven off the lot...and later found in a field. with no equipment inthem..

and in another branch in the bad part of DC(like theres a good part) twenty trailers broken into and 80% of the the 2 stroke stuff...Gone...that'll hurt the bottom line...

7. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

Think you have it bad? Drove up to a tree service place today to get a second load of colored mulch they grind, and when I got back to the job site (a bank) my $500 Stihl Combi trimmer was gone. Friend of mine manages the bank and pulled video showing trimmer on truck when I left. Owner of tree service suggested it fell off somewhere during the 2.8 mile roundtrip. Yeah, right!

Then he wanted to know if I needed another load!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Every piece of equipment on our open trailer is locked and everybody carries a key. Sometimes we put stuff in bed of truck and we have a steel cable system and the same locks to each individual piece so it can guickly be unlocked. The steel cable is bolted to the bed. Most welding shops can build whatever you need for convenience on trucks or trailers to lock-r -down.

9. RYNOss

RYNOss LawnSite Member

Get a hard cover for your bed, should be able to find one cheap in the trader. What I want to know is where you found a 150.00 commercial blower?!