1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best way to secure trailer and mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jul 3, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best way to secure your trailer and your mower/s? what do they have to keep your trailer locked onto your truck and could I just use a thick chain and lock to keep my 36wb secure while I'm using the 21?
  2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

theres a hole on the coupler thing for the trailer where a padlock can fit. a chain and padlock would work i suppose. i guess i've gotten too relaxed and dont lock up my mowers when im not using them other than taking the keys out. im more worried about my 2 cycles as they are easier to just grab and run
  3. green-pa

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a nice blower stolen earlier. So I take my 2 cycle stuff to the back. So is it pretty rare that someone would actually attempt to steal a trailer and/or mower off the back of it?
  4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

someone on LS mentioned that they welded brackets to the gate and the rails so they could padlock the gate up. Not a bad idea. I was thinking about it but got busy and forgot about doing it.

I worry about some idiot trying to take my 48 wb, not knowing how to get it off the trailer, getting run over by it, and suing me.
  6. green-pa

Sorry. I'm really down with this poison Ivy; face is swollen and feels like the skin is about to swell over my eyes :(. Plus when I got home from working my gf and I got into it and I completely forgot about pics, I just put everything up and have the mower and trailer seperate, but I'll get em on here.
  7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

go to doc, u need some meds so u dont end up in the ER
  8. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I drilled holes and put eyebolts in various spots of the trailer. I got two in the front upright angle iron to tie down my 36in wb with a ratcheting tie down. Then you can put them in other spots depending on what type of equipment you have.
  9. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

Try cable locks for your trailer gate. There would have to be a couple of people to take it off without using the gate and that would look funny to passers by. Maybe they would stop or call PD.
  10. green-pa

Well, here are the pics of my new Scag and used trailer and truck. I'm down with this poisoin ivy real bad but I'm hoping it's on it's way out. I have small hands and the grips for the scag's left and right breaks are at the very end of my finger tips so it takes a lot of strain to control it. Is there anyway to shorten the distance between the handle and the left and right break levers?
    It does give a great cut and is fast but turn arounds and backing up is a b*&)
    since my hands are so small.