Best way to sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodgod, Feb 28, 2005.

1. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I've been sharping blades for a few years now, i used to do it by filing them by hand but now that theres too many of them and too little time what is the best way. I know this guy who did them for me for free last summer and fall but sadly his health is not to good right now. I feel bad asking him so i need to start doing them again. I think he used a angle grinder with a metal sanding disc on it. Can anyone help me out on this one?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive used a bench grinder and an angle grinder and i think an angle grinder works the best. I just use a little Ryobi with a 4.5 inch disk on it. I think it works pretty good. I use a C-clamp to secure the blade to the side of one of my benches and then grind it. I then balance the blade.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a bench grinder, makes quick work of the blades.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing will do as nice and quick as a dedicated blade grinder.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I agree with 65 hoss. Magna-Matic grinder here.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I use a table belt sander. It doesnt give you a hollow grind like the wheeled grinders and it does a better job.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

How do they differ from a regular bench grinder?

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a bench grinder . i wont make the jump to magna-matic until i have to sharpen 20 blades a day . i just have a stock pile of blades that way i dont have to sharpen blades everyday. i can do it when i have extra time. i always put sharp blades on everyday.

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

There are many ways to get the job done. I managed for 10 years with a bench grinder. Just as there are many ways to cut grass, but a nice commercial mower is faster, a commercial blade grinder is faster. I got one last year. wish I'd done it sooner.

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a magna-matic about a month or so ago. I haven't used it much, all I've done is about 30 or so extra blades that were used last season, but I LOVE it so far! I think it's worth the cost, and if you dont buy the sharpner at least buy the balancer, it is just as important!