Best way to store equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancutccl, Dec 3, 2004.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Which do you think is a better way to store equipment? Drain all fuel and run carb dry, or use a fuel stabilizer. Usually in my area winter non-mowing season is about 3-4 months.

Or does anyone use another method?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you go back a few pages there are several threads on this subject. Seemed to be main topic last week.

3. Mower Mike

Mower Mike LawnSite Member

Hey cleancutccl, I'm starting to wonder why when somebody ask a question instead of answering it, somebody always wants you to search or something. :realmad: Answer the dang question. Don't know why but on my two cycles I empty the tank and run them out dry. On the four stroke I add stabil, start it and then shut the fuel off to the carburetor and run that dry, leaving the tank full.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Not a good idea at all to run a two stroke dry. Two strokes need their gas for oil. I would never run a two stroke out of gas/oil. You should also fill the tank all the way up so condensation doesn't form in the tank over winter.

1. For all of my equipment (two and four strokes) I fill the gas tank up all the way to the top (as full as I can get it without overfilling).

2. Then I add stabil in the gas and shake the item/move it around to get the stabil throughout the whole gas tank.

3. Then I start the engine and let it run for 5 minutes, varying the throttle every 30 seconds (this gets the stabil ran thru the carb).

4. Then I take off the air filter hose to the carb and put the engine at full throttle. Next, you spray fogging oil down the carb until the engine shuts off.

5. Top off the gas tank if the level went down.

6. Put the piece of equipment away and don't run it again until spring time.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We just leave fuel in our tanks and put stabilizer in the tanks and run it a few minutes and thats it.

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

My Stihl dealer told me to run my 2 cycles dry for long term storage. ?

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

An engine can rust in up to thirty days if you don't run it or don't fog it before storage.

8. cward

cward LawnSite Member

ALarsh,
    Good advice. The only thing I do differently is the fogging. I fog the motor by pulling the plug(s) and then rotating the motor with the plug wires off. I'm really surprised at the number of people that just park the equipment in the winter and walk away from it. I have to agree that running a 2 cycle "dry" isn't a good idea.

9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you guys get the fuel stbalizer?

10. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone in the deep south winterize their equipment. I find myself using it here and there during the winter.

Phil