Best way to switch bi-weekly customers to weekly

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rob's Lawn Care, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have bi-weekly (every 2 weeks) lawn customer's that I would like to switch over to weekly service. This would make it a lot easier on scheduling and we would not have tall jungles to mow especially during all the rain. Do you offer a discount or something else to convince them on weekly service?

2. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Same has happened to me this year. I've simply told the customer in order for me to continue to charge the original price, I will need to be here weekly (or whatever scheduling date you find fitting). Tell them the truth: the yard simply does not look good when you have to mow it when it's a jungle, and you don't want that to be with your business name. Most will understand, but the few that don't, you may need to tell them they need to find someone else, in a respectful manner of course. Good luck.

3. Kenny Snyder

Kenny Snyder LawnSite Member

As long as the grass is manageable being cut on a 2-week schedule, I prefer bi-weekly customers, for several reasons. (1) Often means the customer isn't the picky sort. They're more interested in saving money. Also, I tell them up-front that there will likely be visible clippings left after I mow. (2) The yard almost always needs to be cut, regardless of heat/drought. (3) If you get rained out and have to wait a few days to get it mowed, you can usually stay on schedule with the account. (4) Allows you to potentially double your customer base, therefore doubling your upsell opportunities....which equals more total revenue. Like I said, I like bi-weekly customers.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

No discount needed ....simply charge twice the price of doing it weekly

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

fantasy is right on the money, i charge double the weekly rate,

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Upsell what??? Customers that won't spend money on mowing are not likely to throw around money on upsells. Some will go for leaf removal in the fall but that's about it.

Anyway...I just sent a letter out a few years ago, just said we were no longer offering every other week service and they could switch to weekly or have a nice day.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Offer them an incentive. They can have every 2 week mowing, or they can have you once a week.

8. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Just tell them you will only do it once a week. You don't offer bi monthly. I have done that more than a few times and have never lost a customer.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

bingo. i disagree with kenny. our two week yards are the picky people that want all the grass picked up cause when its that tall itll clump up they say. it has to be perfect. they just cant afford to pay for every week because theyre hummer and boat payments are too high and its so expensive filling them with gas....

10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

If it were easy to get everyone on a weekly schedule, that is all I'd have. You make alot more & they get a better landscape that is kept neat. Some people just want the lawn to be "not a jungle" & they are happy. Some can only afford bi weekly. Make it worth your while for biweekly.