Best way to tell gas cans apart?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeypizano, Mar 4, 2012.

1. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 gas cans that I plan to use that are same exact can, one for mixed gas, one for plain gas. How do you mark them? I have them marked with a sharpie (one says Stihl 50:1 and other is blank) but want idea for better way to tell them apart.

2. KLAlawncare

KLAlawncare LawnSite Member

sharpies or spray paint always worked for me so far

3. mikeypizano

I wish they made orange cans for mixed gas really.

4. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Electrical tape,
    Purple for mix gas.
    Yellow for gas.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  5. mikeypizano

That was one of my ideas, where do you put the tape? I was thinking ring on nozzle of plain gas, and nothing on mixed (or vice versa)

6. KLAlawncare

well if ya want my 2cents i used 5 gal race cans made for motocross, they are great for fast filling the big mowers yet still easy to pour into whips/blowers ect. and they come in a bunch of different colors......red white blue green orange ect

7. mikeypizano

My plan is to take 2 1gal cans with me (that I already have, from when I got weed whackers from Sears before, put them in attic and never used them, and found them recently.) I would fill the plain gas one from my 5gal can. I only use a 21" mower so 1 gal at a time is good for me, plus I would refill from the 5gal before I leave.

8. KLAlawncare

i use these type of cans

382648_10150402808777592_60068827591_8970256_1856791632_n.jpg

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I like that idea except that legally, a gas station is not supposed to allow you to fill gas into any color container but red, diesel yellow etc., and most won't if they catch you.

I would just spray paint the one you want to use for mix black (or whatever color you want) from about the midway point on down to the bottom.

10. mikeypizano

Maybe I will just carry the bigger 2.5 gallon can but I don't like that idea. I have a 1-1/4 gallon can but its been used for my 40:1 mix for years. Would it be a problem if I cleaned it out well?