Best Way to Thatch a Yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to thatch a yard? I used a garden rake to thatch my front yard to experiment then I seeded, and I was surprise at my results.

Now, I figure if I do it correctly this time, I should yield even better results next year.

Where can I get a good thatch rake from?
    Is it better to use a thatch rake, or a thatch mower?

My yard has never been thatched correctly, and my house is 8 years old now.

Thanks.

Matthew
    Indianapolis, In (Midwest)

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

how big is the yard? what are you using to cut the grass? what type of grass?

3. adawg88

adawg88 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am interested in this as well. I had planned to aerate this weekend to clean up my yard, but the more I look the more it seems to need power raked. My problem is a lot of dead brown grass laying on top of the good growing grass starting to make bald spots. In this instance am I better power raking than aerating? I would have about an acre and a half to take care of.

4. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

the best way is to get a gardener!! do you want my number? :)

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

For a really small area, a cavex rake will do a excellent job. Anything bigger then tiny, get a verticutter, or power rake.

6. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

If you were to answer nmurph's questions, I think you'd be getting a more direct answer by now. I know exactly where he's going with this and would ask for the same info.

I can see you're new around here (as am I for the most part) & he's actually asking for several good reasons. The size of your property and what you mow with (21" push mower or 72" tractor with PTO) is very important info to getting your questions answered. IE: What exactly to recommend you need to rent or purchase and how to get it done as efficiently as possibly.

FYI: The people around this site are generally VERY helpful if you give the information they need to HELP YOU evaluate your situation and throw you a helpful suggestion or two.

7. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Sorry for taking so long, I had to find my cad drawings of my house the builder left me.

My backyard : 71.50 feet wide, and Length 58.00 feet
    My front yard: 71.50 feet wide, and length is 31.50 feet.
    My sides: 8.5 feet wide by 52.00 feet.

My house is sitting on a 1 third acre lot.

Thanks!

Matt

8. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Here are some pics, of what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

rent a dethatcher, vertical rake... you'll be done in a fraction of the time. and youll get a lot more up

10. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Go talk to your neighbor on the left, his lawn doesnt look too bad from the pics