best way to turn around on a ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenacresman, Apr 10, 2006.

1. greenacresman

greenacresman LawnSite Member

how do you guys & gals do it to keep from tearing up the turf. :waving:
  2. mindset063

mindset063 LawnSite Member

i have the same question!!!
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Just like ALL my coaches in school said years ago - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.:usflag:
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

go slow! it's the key dont wip throught the turn.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

3-point turn or counter rotate your tires. 3-point turn is the safest turn. Counter rotating them can increase the likelyhood of tearing up the ground. It will take a lot of hours on your machine, practice, and experience.
  6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

As the others have said, the 3 point turn works the best. Once you perfect it you will whip around very quickly without tearing.

As you get to the end of a row, veer to the left about 45 degrees, stop and back around to your right, take off to the left making the last 90 degrees or so of the turn. Think of a classic 3 point turn in a car.

The key to not tearing the turf is to never, ever, pivot on one stationary tire. Always keep both tires moving on the turf, both in the same direction, or working in opposite directions. Even with this in mind, I cannot do a full zero turn without tearing turf. The 3 point turn is the answer.

7. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

Well, the hybrid bermuda down here must be much different than what you guys are mowing! Tearing usually only happens on wet or sloped low cut bermuda, and very rarely in my experience. Any other southern boys out there?
  8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

What? you mean there not ZERO turn at all. pfft..
  9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

3 point turn, K turn is the answer same principle of turning your truck right or left and back up and go on right or left ..1-2-3 step.