Best way under sidewalks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tdkx, Mar 24, 2007.

1. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

This may seem a pretty silly question but I'd like to hear about some techniques for running irrigation lines under multiple sidewalks. I have an RFP on a larger commercial that will require crossing under dozens of existing sidewalks. Our company is not yet prepared to do this many sidewalk crossings efficiently.(is there a machine we should buy or rent?) The soil texture is anywhere from sandy loam to clay and this is causing an issue on bidding this property properly. The sidewalks are no greater than three-four feet in width. Pipe size would be 1.5 inch at most. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

This site is equiped with a search function......................

3. jirrigation

jirrigation LawnSite Member

Both the Ditch Witch 255 and 410 have attachments on the front for boring rods. They work really well, and if the sidewalk isn't wide as is the case for you, you don't have too worry much about keeping the rod perfectly horizontal which takes some practive to get right.

4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

dirch witch 410sx

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking very seriously at a bor-it (http://www.borit.com/index.cfm) for this season. I wish I had 255 or 410, but around here, we all use 100sx's.. so no take off for boring.

I have a condo site where I need to go under 20 or 30 spots, and the soil is so compacted that it takes 20-30 minutes just to pound a bar through, so I'm hoping that this thing will pay for itself.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There might still be some boring machines that are kind of like a posthole digger laid on its side. A small wheeled platform with a horizontal gas engine and gear reduction. Water assist for wet boring, if wanted.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wunderunder is popular down here. I always get the side walks with a mess of constuction debris piled under them.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We have a borit...soil conditions very important...correct on the wunderunder,
    got half-way under a driveway & hit mess of old bricks! Ended up running the
    main & wire all the way around the site! Will contractors ever give us sleeves, or even ask?

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I hit a sewer line under a drive way once. :dizzy: