best way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by suprman9019er, Apr 22, 2005.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

what is the best way to get customers once the cutting season has started??????????

2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The 'best way' to get responses to your posts is to be more descriptive in your subject line when you start a thread. You could have asked your entire question in the subject line instead of making everyone read your post to see what you're talking about. In the future please be more specific.

3. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

My first year in the business I did this. I stated with a 21" push mower, and filled my schedule. I quickly bought a ZTR and now had more time on my hands. So, I was making the same money with less time. I spent my extra time knocking on doors.

I am also one of the few who offers "vacation cuts." Most people say its a waste of time to do an estimate, but I charge a bit extra for those cuts. Say someone wants it cut for 2 weeks while they're away. Tell them your minimum is 3 cuts to make it worth the time to do the estimate. That way, when they come home to a beautifully cut lawn, they get to sit on their duff and watch you cut it again next week. By the time they need to cut again, they will have enjoyed you service for a full month without having to cut a single blade of grass. People like that, and some vacation cuts turn into regular customers. If not, well, at least you made an extra $90, and you know they'll call you next time they're out of town....and you already have a price lined up.

Or, when you quote a vacation cut, say $35....tell them that it's higher priced becuase its a one-time job, and if they'd be interested in weekly cutting for the rest of the year, it will only cost them ....$27 (or whatever) per cut. Picked up a few that way too.