1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NLS, Feb 15, 2003.

1. NLS

NLS LawnSite Member

What is the best way to get new commercial accounts? List the by cheapest to most expensive and how effective they are. Thank you for your information..:blob3:
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

face to face conversation an submit a bid !!
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get the wrong idea by this, ask yourself what do you think is the best way then list the ideas here. Others will surely give their input if you throw some ideas out there.

Are you looking at big 15+ acre complexes or the corner dentist. Both technically commercial accounts and both have a unique approach to trying to get a job.

Do you have the equipment, staffing, insurance, and experience to do the big ones or are you looking for something in between.

Face to face is one of the best but how about looking at your current residential cuatomer base to see if any of them can recommend you to what you want. My experience has been that if you get this kind of referral it is worth lots more than cold calling every business on the block. Good Luck.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I"ll go to sites that aren't quit done being built. I'll talk to the owner and if I get there before any other LCO 's been there, I'll usually get the job. It saves them the trouble of finding someone.
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Bobs answer is the #1 way ive gotten most of my commercial accounts, but ive got some good ones on Talking with the owners, giving them by business card, looking professional, showing them pictures of my work, giving references, and giving a spec sheet of my services. And 7 of 10 ive got this way, they call me and then i do my bids and draw up my contracts,i don't sell my work cheap...Ive worked hard to get a good yearly profit in this business by doing the best work that i can offer, remember your work will sell itself............Marks Mowing Service
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Do you do the new install too, or just the maintenance? I thought usually the company that does the install(s) ,usually but first dibs on the maintenance by offering a discount from the install? There are so many new buildings going up around here. I would like a chance at these.