1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best WB for these things....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KB Klippers, Aug 29, 2006.

1. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I want a WB to be able to cut some steep hillsides and backyards with small gates. I was thinking about a 36". My question is what brand/belt drive/hydro...will it work on hillsides...will it work my ars off...will it slip when wet???? C'mon guys, hook me up on this one...

KB Klippers....I cut the way you want it. If you don't pay me, I write your name in roundup font with poor pendmenship....
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I bought a 48 belt drive and I wish I could have bought a hydro. It does a good job, but when it is wet the belts slip and you have to man handle it more than you would a hydro...at least that is what I hear...I haven't used a hydro WB.
  3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

In my limited experience my 52" exmark turf tracer handles slopes better than my 36" exmark turf tracer hp. I don't now if it is because of the wider tires or wider stance or more weight. It just holds on the hill better. Both slip and slide when the grass is long and wet.
  4. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

my JD HD75 54" does good on hills, except for when they're wet...then its suicide trying to use it. definately go with hydro
  5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Hydro. I have a 36" Exmark Belt drive and I like it, but it was availiable when I started and I got it for $500. I woul dlike to get a Hydro.

If you are looking for "All Purpose" to do the hills and backyards with small gates, go with the 36". On the hills, they are all going to slip when wet, but dry they should not be too bad. Plus with the 36" being smaller, it will not work you so hard if you do have to do some man-handling at times.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hydro will work so much easier on the sidehill, Go hydro
    Wet hills?? come back the next day. I stay off hills in the wet!
  7. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I have Snapper hydros walk-behinds with the Accutrack. These things are awsome on hills. With the Accutrack you can not only go up the hills with ease, but also across the hills with out slipping because the accutrack allows you to adjust the tracking to be able to go across without slipping, and slideing. Some of my accounts have ponds with steep banks, one in particutar has an average of 60 degrees angle, and are almost 100 yards long on each side and 40 yards wide on the narrow side. The Snappers go straight across at these angles with me riding a velke behind it like they were made to do it. Then on the flat these walk-behinds do an awsome job and have a really nice stripe effect. Good luck what ever you decide to do.:)
  8. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

whatever you get spend the extra cash and get a hydro. I mowed with belts for 5 years. I got my first hydro this year and the difference is incredible. I am less tired and finish alot quicker. I have a exmark 48"hp and i am getting ready to add a Quick 36 for those gated yards you speak of
  9. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone! Hydro it is then...
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed, we have two 48" hydro WB's and we just down do them when there wet. It isn't worth the risk of damage to the turf, property (parked cars, swingsets, etc.) or worse, personal injury.

We do this and the customers have never made a complaint.