Best weather for advertising

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by smarino21, Feb 2, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so say i have to notify a newspaper guy 7 days in advance, what is the best time to put out 60k flyers???

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, not sure on how to answer your question but, i have a question for you. Did you already get prices for doing this? If so, how much is it and how is it priced out (ie xflyers for $xxx) Thank you

3. smarino21

yea the total for 60k flyres is around 4k mailed out in a newspaper insert (thats everything)

4. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

first or second week in march when it starts getting warm and people can see their grass. That is when we start all of our advertising.

5. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Same Here.

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The 4k that you are spending on 60k in a newspaper is that localized, or is it over a wide area? Is it within a small geographical location or does it cover a couple of counties? I would think that you will get a decent amount of biz from 60k of fliers. However, if it is spread really wide will it be cost effective?

7. smarino21

well its like 5 -6 zip codes, i cut about 15 miles away with a lota of work but the area im going to is a more higher class neighborhoods ya no what i mean get more money instead of getting 22 dollars for a reg cut here you can get 28 30 ya no, and over there would be like (depends on amount of work) but would be like a couple days of work just over there;

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Paper inserts around here are $34 per 1000.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you are going to have to have to do 133 lawn mowings with you paying for your equipment, labor and overhead out of your pocket just to break even. I would not use that approach. You should target your market. Spend less on people who are more likely to want your services and will meet your needs.

You could hire someone to go door to door in only the neighborhoods that you want to work in and pay him $200 per day. After three weeks, you'd have a better chance of closing more sales and they would all be close together. It still sounds a bit expensive doesn't it? At least you might be able to mow three or four lawns at a time without moving the truck in some places.